1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adire Audio Shiva Mark IV 12"

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SurferDude, Sep 21, 2004.

1. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, what an awesome, mind boggling sub!

I'm virtually certain that this is what I'm going for to give me my low frequencies. It was a near thing between the Shiva and the Peerless 12", but the Shiva won out marginally. Looking to go for a vented 85ltr application because it gives the best blend for Home Theatre and Audio performance. Excellent performance well below 20Hz and massive SPL for a 12".

But here's my quick question: I can get the Mark IV in Aus for about the same price as the Mark III. All the rave reviews I have read are for the Mark III, but the Mark IV is supposed to just be its big brother, but I thought I'd check whether anyone had experienced problems or issues with the Mark IV before I commit.

With a 100W plate amp this thing will total around $500 Aus and be better than something pre-fab that I'd pay over $1,500 retail for. And its a half day job to put it all together. Makes you wonder why anyone would ever buy a pre-fab SW... :)

Cheers,

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I don't want to burst your bubble. :)

But according to your own description you compared it with the Peerless and the Shiva only just won. :blush:

100W with a 12" driver isn't much fun. :nono:

DIY is fun but it's not like the real thing. :devil:

Nimby ;)

3. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Hope you've got your flame suit on! :D

4. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    DIY is fun and also rewarding. If you have a piece of software life Bass Box Pro 6 (Which I have) it will design the exact box measurements you require, shape and cubic capacity. It will then plot graphs showing the performance of the driver using it's T/S Parameters.

Provided you build into the application to brace the box like nothing else, then the DIY route is very effective. The software even gives you the cuts to make and if you print it off and take it to a DIY store they will cut it to the exact measurements.

I would put more than 100 watts RMS on to it, but I would receommend an amplifier that matches the maximum RMS of the woofer.

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I spoke as one who has been making my own speakers for 40 years. :D

But true subwoofers for only 10 years. :cool:

I was making giant (SVS type) bass cylinders way back in the 60's you know. :clown:

Not that there was much bass on LPs to speak of. :blush:

Listening to rumble is not a sound basis for a lifetime hobby. :devil:

But it's great fun. :)

Nimby

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I think you are mistaken. I believe that it is very much a sound basis for a lifetime hobby.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Nimby has his SVS Blinkers on again:D

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hi Smurfin. :D

Rumours of your demise were exaggerated then? :devil:

I don't need blinkers. I have tunnel vision! :cool:

Or should that be tubular vision? :p

More seriously. I don't think a 100 watt plate amp is really enough to keep a 12" drive unit under control. It also shouldn't be underestimated how much is involved in building an airtight box with a decent furniture-quality finish. Then getting the sort of performance that a very experienced designer only achieves with masses of test equipment and lots of patience. It can be done. But there really is no free lunch. A kit or professional design obviously helps a lot.
    Don't let me put anybody off if you have an SPL meter and enough patience to see the job through. In fact I highly recommend building things yourself. It's very satisfying to know you did most of the work. It also means you can't blame anybody else if it doesn't turn out quite as intended. You also learn all sorts of skills you never thought you'd need. :)

What I wouldn't have given for a Shiva drive unit, modern amps and today's software back then. When I was groping about with only a few magazine designs for guidance. The vast amount of information available today is simply incredible in comparison with the dark ages. Use it! :smashin:

Nimby

9. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nimby,

I think you're right. On retrospect I've decided to go to a 350W into 4 ohm plate amp for the Shiva. It can take up to 600W into 4 ohm, but hey 350W should create some serious air movement.

Didn't have to model the box sizes myself because Adire Audio have done all the hard work and come up with a range of sealed and ported box designs with various performance characteristics. Download the PDF with the box designs then just draw it up, cut it up and glue it up.

Can't get much easier than that!

Also, Shiva over Peerless on price/performance because Shiva about 2/3 price of Peerless here. Couldn't spot too much difference on performance. :confused: Maybe should do some more hoemwork before committing to Shiva driver.

GaryG, :) Yeah, and I kinda thought the "makes you wonder why you wouldn't DIY" question I threw out there might get the odd flame response. Just wanted to provoke some lively input because I am confident I'll get an excellent sub for around A$600 based on the Shiva driver and a 350W amp that I'd need to spend a helluva lot more to buy pre-fab'd with someone else's logo on it.

Samhain, I like the sound of BassBox Pro. Where'd you get it and does it come up with designs for you when you enter your own performance charcteristics that you're trying to achieve?

Cheers,

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    You make it sound so easy! :D

I had my last project sawn by a large timber merchants on a horizontal saw table to save time. They veered off all over the place! Of course I didn't discover this until I got home 10 miles away! :mad:

Clamped batons and your own hand-held circular saw are probably more reliable if you can manage it. I didn't have my own electric saw or router back then. It would have taken only a few minutes to true up the 18mm material with those. Instead I had to use hand planes. :censored:

A router is handy for making a decent job of the driver apertures and reflex port holes. The driver can be sunk into the surface for better appearance.

All this should really be on the DIY forum by now. Recognisable by all the sawdust, blood, plasters, bandages and cross wives & girlfriends. :blush:

Good luck
    Nimby