ADI Vehicles

Ayub

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any Adi'S on the forum need a few pointers.

Do you use your own car?
Cost of your own in terms of running.

Do you leave, if so where from and how much please.

My neighbour is an ADI.

He's run his own business for a few years but has also recently taken the local franchise for WhatCar's SoM.

I'll ask him your questions.

:)

My neighbour is an ADI.

He's run his own business for a few years but has also recently taken the local franchise for WhatCar's SoM.

I'll ask him your questions.

Please.

3 cars - 2 owned outright, a Mazda 3 and a Panda. The WC supplied car as part of the franchise is an Ibiza 1.2 3cyl and is leased from them.

Business is very tough at the moment he tells me.

Leased a Corsa whilst working in a franchise and training for the exams. Disobeyed the boss and bought a Fabia vRS, then went freelance anyway once qualified. Almost all running costs swallowed up by the business (fuel, sundries, maintenance, insurance etc) making it profitable even considering depreciation. I only work part-time as an ADI, but business is indeed tough, with too many ADI's and a reduction in interest in learning to drive in these austere days, with many youngsters put off by the ridiculous insurance quotes and simply not bothering.

Always owned my cars, the initial outlay can be completely offset against tax in the year, so if you buy a car for £10,000 then thats £10,000 you dont pay tax on.

My problem is that i get bored of cars quickly and am now looking to change again, only had this one 13 months, 30K in that time.

Bought my car, paid off next august, but as other people have said too many instuctors, not enough work.:thumbsdow

I have a full time job and i also am a Landlord but wanted to do this so i could pass my kids:) and teach um to drive properly.

Bought my car, paid off next august, but as other people have said too many instuctors, not enough work.:thumbsdow

Make
Model
Cost.

You must be a very patient man. :)

Good luck.

Agreed. Lessons with my dad rarely went well!

I took some lessons with an instructor and practised with my Dad in a cheap Corsa. Even took some tests in stand examiners never had an issue with it. As long as you attach a second rear view mirror and it has valid MOT and insurance.

Make
Model
Cost.

Fiat Grande Punto, can't remember how much exactly but around 10k.

Do you know what exactly involved to become an instructor??

You have 3 exams, first one is a theory test/hazard perception test

100 questions, which is split into 4 sections, you must score 20/25 in each section and more than 80 in total.

A hazard perception test, 14 video clips/15 hazards, you must score 57/75

Second exam is a driving test including motorway, dual carriageway, all monouvres so, reverse around a corner, parallel park, bay park, turn in the road and emergency stop. This last for around 90mins you're allowed 6 minor faults, a serious or dangerous fails the test. (Your son/dauhghters test will be around 40mins 1 manouvre and they are allowed 15 minor faults, a serious or dangerous fails the test.

Finally the third test (the hardest) is based your ability to give effective instruction.
The 'ability to instruct' test covers three main key subject areas:

core competencies
instructional techniques
instructor characteristics

More info here;

Taking the Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) tests | Business Link

Fiat Grande Punto, can't remember how much exactly but around 10k.

Do you know what exactly involved to become an instructor??

You have 3 exams, first one is a theory test/hazard perception test

100 questions, which is split into 4 sections, you must score 20/25 in each section and more than 80 in total.

A hazard perception test, 14 video clips/15 hazards, you must score 57/75

Second exam is a driving test including motorway, dual carriageway, all monouvres so, reverse around a corner, parallel park, bay park, turn in the road and emergency stop. This last for around 90mins you're allowed 6 minor faults, a serious or dangerous fails the test. (Your son/dauhghters test will be around 40mins 1 manouvre and they are allowed 15 minor faults, a serious or dangerous fails the test.

Finally the third test (the hardest) is based your ability to give effective instruction.
The 'ability to instruct' test covers three main key subject areas:

core competencies
instructional techniques
instructor characteristics

More info here;

Taking the Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) tests | Business Link

Thank you Moby,yes i do know whats involved.

I have done my both my theory and Practical.

Theory i scored : 93 (Pass is 57)

I have just completed my driving test ( this monday) I was marked down for 3 faults.

• Too close to the car infront ( i was)
  • Hesitant when pulled out of a junction ( there was a bloody pedal bike who could not make up his bloody mind)
  • Did not check my blind stop one ( i cant remember) but accept the fact that i did not.
I Am looking for tips for the Instruct/Part3 :cool:

Last edited:
Join the club mate. We're typical Yorkshire men - tight as a gnat's chuff!

I suppose it could be cheaper than paying for lessons for your 3 kids, becoming an ADI yourself. Still think you're nuts though! I'd rather pay for someone else to teach 'em!

To put simply Yes, i'm a tight git :blush:

But why do all the ADI stuff? As far as I am aware, you don't need to be taught by an ADI to do the test.

You could just get a car, insure it and teach them.

But why do all the ADI stuff? As far as I am aware, you don't need to be taught by an ADI to do the test.

I agree, I taught my son in his old Micra, I insured it with Collingwood Learners, they do 3 monthly, monthly, and weekly policies for learners to drive any car.

Join the club mate. We're typical Yorkshire men - tight as a gnat's chuff!

I suppose it could be cheaper than paying for lessons for your 3 kids, becoming an ADI yourself. Still think you're nuts though! I'd rather pay for someone else to teach 'em!

It's also a challenge, dont get me wrong!

Yeah i know i tough life. still wanted to go through with it!

Last edited:
Fair enough. Good luck to all.

I've been passed over two years and still don't like driving with my Dad in the passenger seat. It rarely goes well.

Fair enough. Good luck to all.

I've been passed over two years and still don't like driving with my Dad in the passenger seat. It rarely goes well.

That was my point, I am a good driver but found it hard to teach the wife. I now know a little more and am able to teach with patience. It’s all about knowing what to expect and how to keep them focused.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom