Adhd

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by indianwells, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. A genuine condition or just another way to excuse brattish behaviour? I'll go for the latter.:)

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Whilst many of us may be sceptical,rather than posting something which is guaranteed to annoy,instead qualify what you've said with some supporting evidence.

3. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    What evidence do you want?. There's probably lots of evidence that it does exist. It's whether you want to believe that evidence.I personally think it's part of the blame culture where nothing is anyones fault and that's why I asked the question. If you don't mind that is.

4. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a serious and relatively common psychiatric condition affecting 3% to 5% of all school age children and affecting a larger proportion of male than female subjects (American Psychiatric Association, 1994). It is further estimated that approximately 50% of children with ADHD continue to have at least mild symptoms of the disorder as adults (Barkley et al., 1990, Hechtman, 1985 and Weiss et al., 1985). In recent years, it has become increasingly clear that a history of ADHD is associated with drug and alcohol use in adolescence and adulthood. This has been shown clearly in a series of prospective, longitudinal studies indexing either substance use disorder (SUD) or substance use problems (Gittelman et al., 1985, Hechtman et al., 1984, Lynskey and Hall, 2001 and Mannuzza et al., 1993). For example, Gittelman et al. (1985) reported that young men diagnosed with hyperactivity in childhood had a significantly higher rate of drug and or alcohol use disorder at the end of the follow-up period (mean 9 years) compared with a control group (19% vs. 7%).

Similar findings have been reported in retrospective studies of adults with a history of ADHD. Shekim et al. (1990) reported that 30% of 56 adult outpatients with ADHD had a drug use disorder and 34% had alcoholism. This issue was studied further by Biederman et al., 1993, Biederman et al., 1995 and Biederman et al., 1998. They compared rates of substance use and other psychiatric problems in three groups (adults with ADHD symptoms seeking treatment, adults with ADHD symptoms not seeking treatment, and non-treatment-seeking control adults). Both ADHD groups had significantly higher rates of alcohol dependence and drug dependence compared with the control group.

A history of ADHD symptoms in the childhood of adult alcohol and drug abusers has also been evaluated. Goodwin et al. (1975) found that 50% of alcohol abusers in their Danish male adoption study reported being hyperactive as children compared with only 15% among adoptees without alcohol use problems. Schuckit et al. (1978) reported that 17% of drug abusers in two residential drug treatment programs had childhood hyperactivity. Although patients reported use of many different drugs, opiates were commonly the “drug of choice” of those with versus without a history of hyperactivity (71% vs. 49%). A childhood history of hyperactivity in that study was further associated with a greater severity of adult drug use problems (e.g., poor health, inpatient drug treatment), higher rates of antisocial personality disorder (53% vs. 26%), and more inpatient psychiatric care (47% vs. 17%) compared with those symptoms of childhood hyperactivity.

The data from these retrospective and prospective studies suggest that rates of ADHD would be high in chronic opioid abusers who are seeking treatment. Despite this, only two published reports were found on the prevalence of childhood hyperactivity in treatment seeking opioid abusers (Eyre et al., 1982 and King et al., 1999). In both studies, approximately one-quarter met one or more of the study criteria for hyperactivity in childhood (i.e. restlessness in school, academic problems, diagnosed as hyperactive, at least one childhood antisocial behavior). These subgroups of adult opioid abusers were significantly more likely to have dropped out of school, have unskilled employment, have greater use of cannabis and solvents, and use of a wide range of substances.

There you go. Fact or bunkum?

5. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    A genuine disorder that drives the parents of kids with the condition crazy, but I don't doubt it is mis-diagnosed in some cases and is just used to excuse poor parenting and brattish behaviour.

It's a bit like the conditions such as 'heavy bones', 'slow metabolism', 'underactive thyroid' etc etc that are used to expain why so many people are obese, while these conditions are geniune and have genuine sufferers again they are commonly mis-diagnosed.

It all boils now to this :-

It's easier and more socially acceptable to tell a parent thier child has a form of ADHD than to tell them thier child is a brat that needs some structure and disipline in thier lives and that the parent(s) should go to parenting classes to learn how this is done.

It's also easier to tell someone they have 'heavy bones', 'slow metabolism', 'underactive thyroid' etc etc rather than tell them they are greedy fat lazy ba:censored:rds.

It's just a symptom of the politically correct society that we now live in. :thumbsdow

My sympathy goes out to the genuine sufferers of these conditions, there would be more resources to help them if it wern't for the mis-diagnosed cases using up what little funding and help is available to these people. :(

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I'd prefer to use properly peer-reviewed medical research,which is at least subject to scrutiny and ongoing research as opposed to dismissing it with comments such as given above.

Current research shows a deficiency in cerebral dopamine metabolism,allied with reduced glucose metabolism,probably mediated by genetic factors,many of which are related to central dopamine transport.

There are various epidemiological and aetiological factors,but I'm sure you'll be able to find those.

None of that supercedes the fact that persons with disorders such as this may need increased levels of parental supervision,any more than the presence of a defined disorder absolves those persons from having to take responsibility for their children,but it does show a clear body of research and evidence to base the diagnosis upon.

7. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Good post Fusewire.

My mum is a child psychologist and she agrees that it is often wrongly diagnosed.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    There you go....as evidenced by your post above,you are able to find some data,and offer a far more reasoned debate than the first post.

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    And yet another tiresome set of rants. God this forum is becoming boring.:rolleyes:

ADHD is in fact more common than you would expect, certainly going on these posts, and is no joke. Particularly for parents and people like my wife who have to teach them - and assess if they might have the condition. Are you saying she's handing out false recommendations for checks for ADHD because she's into 'PC' or the 'blame culture'. If so, well, get a grip frankly.:mad:

ADHD can be misdiagnosed. But so can any illness/health problem. Dismissing it in glib Daily Mailisms as if it's common to do so, and 'just another excuse' is just as lazy thinking as the very people you accuse of doing just that.

Getting sick and tired of ill informed rants like this. :rolleyes:

And bored.

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,704
    Let's all try and stay on topic :thumbsup:

Dave

11. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    I'm hoping this is the first in a series of threads with indianwells turning his intelect to various conditions.

Dyslexia - Just Lazy Spellers?
    Epilepsy - Get up off the ground and stand still!!

12. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488

My 9 year old boy was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6 and has been on Ritalin since, which has put him from near bottom of his class to near the top.

My 6 year old daughter has not got a hint of the symptom's, so how can two kids being raised in the same house having exactly the same Stucture, discipline and Parent's but not both be "Brats" :rolleyes:

Anyone who is Sceptical and want's a lend of kid with ADHD without medication is welcome for a trial for the weekend :clap:

We constantly get comments from total strangers on how well behaved and polite out "Little Angel's" are when on holiday ect. They should see Zebedee at 7am when he 1st wakes up :D

Next......:devil:

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I had ADHD as a child and still have it now.

The worst thing is the lack of concentration. I find it really difficult to concentrate and I always have bags of energy.

The best way to deal with the symptoms is to make sure your child has lots of exercise and a healthy diet with no E numbers.

Giving children ritalin doesn't cure it and there isn't any point taking drugs to teat the symptoms of a condition like ADHD, especially when it can be helped anbd pretty much controlled with loads of exercise and a good diet.

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    :rotfl: Funniest thing i've read in a while. :rotfl: :rotfl:

15. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    But it stops the mothers having nervous breakdowns and has improved his concentration during school times.

He's on the minimum dose, and only during school.

16. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I wasn't ranting just. ;) Just answering the OP if that's OK with you. :smashin:

For reasons I can't quite fathom you seem obsesed with the Daily Mail (its not the first time you have mentioned it after quoting me), I have never read it, and I don't read any of the other newspapers either....most of them just print rubbish from one of the two extreems of the political spectrum. :boring:

Again I'm not ranting (or illinformed), what is tiresome is that in this day and age that if anyone says anything with which certain people do not agree with you get various derogitory labels assigned to you such as 'Dismissing it in glib Daily Mailisms'. :boring:

I apologise for boring you and having a negative effect on your mood, please think nice happy pleasant thoughts (Such as your beloved labour party winning the next election and Gordon being PM :rotfl:)and it may lift your mood again. :D

17. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    How derogitory do you think accusing health workers of mis diagnosing kids due to an overwhelming political correct society that dictates we can't tell the truth to loads of poor parents with "brattish kids".

And to the point of being illinformed; do you have evidence to stack your claim or is this a presumed generalisation?:confused:

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    going to close this before it turns into a brawl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.