Addyb's raspberry pi retro game machine build

If it's the 8bitdo Bluetooth pad then then I just switch my PC30 Pro on when booting the Pi and it connects. Usually just have to press a button to get it started. I've setup Retropie to connect in the background which can be done in the Bluetooth settings.
Think mine's set up in the background too now after following the instructions.

Had a quick blast on Super Mario World which turned into an hour! Takes me right back to the early 90s. The game is just so good - it hasn't lost its appeal at all. Got loads of others I want to try out too when I get the chance!

If it's the 8bitdo Bluetooth pad then then I just switch my PC30 Pro on when booting the Pi and it connects. Usually just have to press a button to get it started. I've setup Retropie to connect in the background which can be done in the Bluetooth settings.

it is, its the same as you have.
I have also set it up to connect in the background.

Think mine's set up in the background too now after following the instructions.

Had a quick blast on Super Mario World which turned into an hour! Takes me right back to the early 90s. The game is just so good - it hasn't lost its appeal at all. Got loads of others I want to try out too when I get the chance!

This is now the issue, too many games not enough time :D

Anyone recommend a pi case that can route all the outputs to the back or atleast one side ?

Went and grabbed a 128GB SD card so I can put even more games on ill not have time to play!

Trying the Reys 128GB attract mode image tonight.

Will need to clear out some stuff I will never play and add games for systems he has not included like Amiga and games I have added that he does ot have (eg: Jumping Flash on PSX and Tetris Battle Gaiden on SENS) but it looks to be a good starting base.

That's what I did with Nacho's image. Good starting base and added a few things and deleted a whole load of stuff :)

Not a fan of the Attract mode, much prefer the simplicity of ES but the video clip previews you get for each game are very cool (for the ones that have it) :)

Picked up a pi2 off a friend.
Going to grab an sd card on payday and I may get some snes pads (although I have already made an arcade stick that I may use).
Any recommendations for a good 64gb image to use?

Picked up a pi2 off a friend.
Going to grab an sd card on payday and I may get some snes pads (although I have already made an arcade stick that I may use).
Any recommendations for a good 64gb image to use?

I'm using Nachos which is pretty good. Did trim a fair amount out of it as it comes very well loaded.

Can't remember what it's called, something like win32imager to copy the image to the SD card.

This guide will show you how to do it:
You will need to skip through a few mins as he talks about how to get the images.

Kind of want a SNES one to go with my nes pro pad, very tempted.

Bit more but I really like the FC30 Pro with the analogues as well. Has the SNES feel for the DPad but a bit more functionality.
That SFC30 is a good price though, just wish there was a great deal on an arcade stick, that's what I really need :)

Mini SNES case arrived. Its very nice! 3d printed, which means the finish is a little rough, and the colours are close but not perfect. But it still looks the part and grants good access to all the ports of the pi.

img-20170905-wa0000-jpeg.907236

Held together with a single screw that sits a little proud on the bottom. There is also a vent underneath. So it really needs some feet which unfortunately it doesn't come with. I re-purposed the jelly feet from my previous Pi case and they work well.

Its a little outrageous to spend 30 quid on something purely cosmetic, but I'm happy. Looks better than the stickers: Pi case with SNES stickers

Here's the link from Etsy again, if anyone is interested: SNES PAL / Super Famicom 3D printed case for Raspberry Pi Emulation System and Retro Gaming

These guys do a lovely injection molded US SNES case. Shame they don't do a European style case. Super Tinytendo Case for Raspberry Pi 3

Attachments

• IMG-20170905-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20170905-WA0000.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:
One of my two 8bitdo SFC30 gamepads has gone a little weird. It lost connection and now my Raspberry Pie sees the correct MAC address but identifies it as a Retron5Controller, not an SFC30 Gamepad.

Both controllers are running the 4.01 firmware. One is seen and connects no problem at all, one is misbehaving. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it buggered?

EDIT: Scrub that, its decided it is an SFC30 Gamepad again and everything seems to be fine.

Last edited:
Looking to get a retro setup. Would you guys generally recommend retropie or a shield running hyper spin. Got my eye on a couple of 8bitdo sticks to go with it.

Hi everyone,

Is this thread still active at all? I've recently got my Kodi Pi 3 sharing RetroPie responsibilities (via the magic of card swapping!). Using a 360 wireless controller and got:

- ZX Spectrum (3D Deathchase, Jetpac, Manic Miner, Jumping Jack, Knight Lore)
- PSX (Wipeout XL, Crash Bandicoot, the Tomb Raiders)
- Megadrive (Sonic the Hedgehog, Ecco the Dolphin)
- MAME (R-Type, Paperboy, Ms Pac-Man, Defender, 1942).

Worst one to get working was the ZX Spectrum but got there in the end. The latest lr-fuse allows pad to keyboard mappings which is great!

Not into beat 'em ups at all and I'm sure I'm missing some stone cold classics. Any ideas welcome!

Try Mr Do, Dig Dug, Bombjack and Legend of Hero Tonma.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom