Addyb's raspberry pi retro game machine build

I hadn't bothered with an Amiga emulator, the 8bit and 16bit consoles from Sega and Nintendo were satisfying me... but then someone mentioned Barbarian :rotfl:

Left-Right arrow and then space bar to spin and chop their head off - classic :)

Yeah I'm definitely going to delete some of the emulators there as I have no interest in Wonderswan (bizarre name!) and MSX for instance amongst others.
I used to have an MSX. Shortage of software but what there was was fantastic. Awesome 8bit machine

Things to do in next few months:

1) Buy an arcade stick - still undedecided which
2) Cleanup any emulators I really won't ever play
3) Buy a new, bigger house so that i can get an arcade cabinet to put a Pi in :) Really fancy a full size one with a decent 17-19" screen and 2 -player arcade setup. Seen a few places that build them but god knows how much they cost - bartops ones ready built on eBay are £350!

Could go for the Picade bartop self built but seems to be limited on screen size.

I used to have an MSX. Shortage of software but what there was was fantastic. Awesome 8bit machine

I never knew anyone with an MSX. Or even anyone who knew anyone who had one! I remember the day I picked up a secondhand Atari 800XL with a bunch of games for £50!

Things to do in next few months:

1) Buy an arcade stick - still undedecided which
2) Cleanup any emulators I really won't ever play
3) Buy a new, bigger house so that i can get an arcade cabinet to put a Pi in :) Really fancy a full size one with a decent 17-19" screen and 2 -player arcade setup. Seen a few places that build them but god knows how much they cost - bartops ones ready built on eBay are £350!

Could go for the Picade bartop self built but seems to be limited on screen size.

Yeah I cant decide which arcade stick either. That more expensive one on Amazon with the parts you can change seems like the best bet though?

I watched a YouTube vid on connecting it. Looks like you need to pair it then decide how it acts every time it connects. Then you just set it up like any other pad going through the buttons. Looks simple enough.

Here is the vid:

HELP :eek:

OK after a little pratting around I've connected my NES30 Pro via bluetooth and configured the buttons several times to making sure of no errors.

When the NES30 Pro is connected (blue tooth), it works perfectly fine in the Retropie menu, all buttons that can be checked from the menu work but when in any game, I cannot do anything nothing works, if I have my usb Snes controller plugged in too it also appears to effect this with 'select / start' back to the menu from a game not working on that.

Any ideas what's wrong :(

I've tried and tried some more, but no luck within an actual game the only two buttons that work on the NES30 Pro appear to be up and down on the D-pad. It's running the latest FW and I've tried it with that patch malarkey option (for older fw) on & off from within the blue tooth menu.
So currently looks like a waste of £35 :facepalm:

I've tried and tried some more, but no luck within an actual game the only two buttons that work on the NES30 Pro appear to be up and down on the D-pad. It's running the latest FW and I've tried it with that patch malarkey option (for older fw) on & off from within the blue tooth menu.
So currently looks like a waste of £35 :facepalm:

With emulator are you trying on? If you plug it in via USB does it work in a game? Sounds like for some reason it's not configured for the emulator itself but all mine worked by default (in most emulators).

Oh and you did setup the udev bit in the setup menu?

Very strange. Maybe it's just that NES controller. My FC30 Pro works fine on the latest firmware unless a new firmware literally came out in the last 2 weeks that causes issues.

So what are you guys playing at the moment?
I'm enjoying various Bomberman games mainly on the Snes.
Also the Metal Slug series is getting some air time along with Mr Do.

Updated it ok this time! The trick is when clicking ok it seems thats it. But its not, you have to wait.

Charging it now till green light goes off. Is it normal for light to be on even when Pi is off etc?

So what are you guys playing at the moment?
I'm enjoying various Bomberman games mainly on the Snes.
Also the Metal Slug series is getting some air time along with Mr Do.

I have been playing hogs of war on the PlayStation as well as more bomberman 94 on the PC engine.

My Nes30pro pad turned up today, looks like a nice bit of kit. Will set it up after I watch the football. The only thing that might be an issue is the size of the analog sticks, my thumbs might slip off them a fair bit I think.

Updated it ok this time! The trick is when clicking ok it seems thats it. But its not, you have to wait.

Charging it now till green light goes off. Is it normal for light to be on even when Pi is off etc?

No light when off. You just hold the power button until the lights go off.

No light when off. You just hold the power button until the lights go off.
Power button?

Lights go off anyway after a while. Do I have to press anything on controller when switching Pi back on? Just Start isnt it?

Power button?

Lights go off anyway after a while. Do I have to press anything on controller when switching Pi back on? Just Start isnt it?

Should be one at the bottom along with the bluetooth button. To turn it in just hold the same button.

Should have come with an instructions leaflet.

First night I left mine and the battery completely drained so didn't go to sleep. Since then I've switched it off and not had to charge it yet.

Should be one at the bottom along with the bluetooth button. To turn it in just hold the same button.

Should have come with an instructions leaflet.

First night I left mine and the battery completely drained so didn't go to sleep. Since then I've switched it off and not had to charge it yet.
Are we talking about the same controller? SFC30. Theres no buttons on bottom. Two lights on top side, nothing on bottom side.

Found it. Instructions dont help lol. Appears to be Start button 2-3 seconds for power on/off. If LEDs are off its in sleep mode.

Ah you might be right, min'es the FC30 Pro which is a bit different. Saw the FC30 bit and thought it was the same ;)

I have paired my pad with the Pi and setup analog control on PSX, works really well. Played some Ridge Racer 4 and Rollcage 2.
If I had one complaint it would be that the face buttons are very loud.

I turned the pad off last night hoping when I use it next it will auto connect, if not that could be a real pain.

I have paired my pad with the Pi and setup analog control on PSX, works really well. Played some Ridge Racer 4 and Rollcage 2.
If I had one complaint it would be that the face buttons are very loud.

I turned the pad off last night hoping when I use it next it will auto connect, if not that could be a real pain.

If it's the 8bitdo Bluetooth pad then then I just switch my PC30 Pro on when booting the Pi and it connects. Usually just have to press a button to get it started. I've setup Retropie to connect in the background which can be done in the Bluetooth settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom