additional television on virgin setup

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Billgwilliam, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Billgwilliam

Billgwilliam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had my virgin installation upgraded to TiVo in one room with additional decoder in another. Previously I ran aerial cable to additional sets around the house but the new kit does not support this method.

Can anyone suggest how to connect two more televisions to the general setup? First additional tv is LCD second is older CRT type.

Any suggestions welcome

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
  3. Billgwilliam

Billgwilliam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, sounds just what I need. Much obliged.

4. bamber1981

bamber1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just bear in mind that this solution will have a limited life because, when your LCD or CRT TV expires in a few years' time, the replacement is not likely to have an analogue tuner.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    So what alternative would you suggest for £15?

There are other ways to distribute the signal, but not via existing coax or for as cheaply as the modulator allows:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/virg...nding-stb-output-another-room-multi-room.html

Maybe post back in ten years time when the OP may or may not own a new TV that lacks an RF input. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  6. bamber1981

bamber1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The only alternative in the thread you mention is HDMI distribution, which is not a lot of use with an old CRT TV! It is by far the best solution, though, once all of the TVs in the house are HD. In the meantime (which could be a very short time as the CRT TV may already be on its last legs as far as you know) there are plenty of video senders available for under £30. Some will even relay back infrared remote signals so that the TiVo can be controlled from another room. The composite video signal should also be higher quality than RF, although video senders are prone to interference from things like microwave ovens.

By the way, a TV without any RF input would be a monitor!

7. metalguru

metalguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Go Bamber:thumbsup:

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    Simple question, why is an alternative needed? :confused:

Maybe come back when there's need for an alternative rather than posting to emphasis issues that are non existent?

The most current TV sets still incorporate RF inputs and PAL-I modulators. CRT is in reference to the tube and screen and has nothing to do with the inputs.

The OP never enquired about video senders and simply asked about using existing coax.

Your point being? You're the one suggesting TVs lack RF inputs not me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  9. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    No TV is going to lack an RF input as long as we have Freeview. Whether it comes with an analogue tuner is another matter - I suspect most don't any more.

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    I'm relatively sure that the vast majority of TVs currently being sold in the UK do still include an analogue tuner. The latest sets by both Sony and Panasonic most definately do, but I cannot comment on other brands?

There's no real reason for a manufacturer to exclude the tuner.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  11. bamber1981

bamber1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My first post made a valid point. As much as it may surprise dante01, I have already read on another forum of someone being unable to distribute an analogue RF signal to a new LCD TV because it has only a digital tuner. Once existing stocks of TVs have been sold, there is no reason for manufacturers to continue including an analogue tuner when there are no more analogue broadcasts. That is what I said, not that TVs would not have an RF input which, as fat jez pointed out, is necessary for Freeview, which uses exactly the same frequencies (UHF channels 21 to 69 minus some which are to be sold off for other purposes) as the old analogue broadcasts.

No TV contains a PAL-I modulator, because a modulator is a device to convert video/audio signals to RF; TVs contain a PAL-I analogue tuner, which does exactly the opposite, converting RF signals to video/audio to feed to the screen.

The OP did not specifically ask how to connect using the existing aerial cables. I suggested the reasonable alternative of using video senders because the CRT TV would not work with the only other alternative mentioned (by the reference to another thread) because it has no HDMI input.

12. Leeray3

Leeray3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

Sorry to hijack this somewhat however my oldthread on this subject has now closed.

My question for the same problem is this: Can I connect a Scart adapter to the V+Box and then run a composite (10m) cable from that adapter to my LCD TV in my room? I know this is possible but would it work?

I currently have a Scart to RF modulator/adapter running but I would love to get rid of this as it requires a power source, the other (composite cable) method would not

Would this work? my tv is on 23inches so I'm not to worried about the quality so much

Thanks