Addition to Yamaha Surround System

Mayandi2

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a good Yamaha 5.1 surround system based on the RX-V685 Receiver, NS-SW300 Subwoofer, NS-P350 Front & Centre speakers and Musiccast 20 rears. (I had some issues with the Musiccast link a few months ago, but that's now completely sorted). But as I have a 4K TV, 4K BD player and several UHD and BD movies with Atmos or DTS:X audio, I wanted to 'upgrade' my system to support it. Due to various 'domestic' reasons overhead or wall-mounted speakers are not options. Therefore, my only option was to get the angled "Atmos enabled" speakers and place them on top of the Yamaha P-350 fronts.

My first choice was a pair of Sony SS-CSE speakers which would have been a perfect fit but unfortunately they are not available in India. So, I settled for and have ordered a pair of Polk Audio Monitor XT90s. These are 22cm deep, some 3.5cm more than the depth of the top of the Yamaha P350s, which means there will be an overhang at the front or back. I am a bit worried about allowing all the overhang at the back because the bulkier rear of the Polks might affect the balance of the ensemble - the Yamaha fronts sit on dedicated speaker stands.

My question is - since the Yamaha P350s are only front-firing (ie not upward), can I allow the Polks to overhang a little bit above - say about 2 cm - in the front? That will avoid any accidental overbalance and damage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom