1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding widescreen flag to recordings made with HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rberman, Dec 21, 2003.

1. rberman

rberman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Using a Pansonic HS2 recorder I have recorded programs and films to the hard disk, trimmed them and then archive them to DVD-R. However, when I dub to DVD-R, the widescreen flag that allows my TV to detect it has a widescreen recording is lost. For this reason there is a menu setting which allows me to specify in advance whether I want the resultant dub to be squeezed anamophically (for display on a widescreen TV) or converted to letterbox format (for display on a 4:3 TV).

As I have a widescreen TV, I always choose the former option. However, I would like to copy some of these DVD-R's using my PC to give to a friend who only has a 4:3 TV.

Would it just be a case of re-adding the widescreen flag to the recording, so that my friend's DVD player could then output it as letterbox? If so can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced piece of software that would allow me to do that?

Or, is it not as simple as that?

Rodney Berman

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Doesn't work like that, all your recordings are at 4:3, if the original source was widescreen it is recorded squashed unless you letterbox it at the recording stage by adding the black bars top and bottom to the recording.

Why not play them back in another player and re-record in letterbox.

THe other option is that most modern 4:3 sets have a 16:9 mode. If this is manually selected the recording will play back as if it was letterboxed originally.

THere is no way to add the widescreen switch either at time of recording or later using the hs2.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sets that Ken mentions(4:3 but with 16:9 settings) is the only way to watch a squeezed recording on a 4:3 set undistorted.There is no way,currently,to display an anamorphic recording in 4:3 l/box on a 4:3 set.This was discussed on an earlier thread.Older 4:3 sets with 16:9 merely introduce a false l/box effect and do not work with 16:9 recordings,but these should be few and far between these days