1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding/upgrading hard disks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Steve Tustin, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good afternoon! Will it ever stop raining?

I intend to buy a DVD recorder with hard disk soon - how easy would it be to upgrade a hard disk? I do realise that it would invalidate the warranty

Thanks

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

As far as I am aware it has never been done on any DVD Recorder. Panasonic allowed upgrading in Japan but you had to send the recorder back.

People have tried and spoken about doing it but not succeeded. The nearest anyone has got is with Panasonic models but the recorder would only use the same amount of space as the original drive it shipped with, ignoring any additional space a larger hard drive gave, defeating the point.

Regards

Philip

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    However it is easy to replace a panasonic machine hard drive if it is faulty or noisy, as these will probably fail first in the machine during extended use. You just have to find one that uses the same or less power so as not to overstress the power supply.

4. GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are the same HDD as in our PCs then? With the difference that the operating system isn't on the disc? It seems a shame we can't upgrade the system with an added firmware upgrade. I guess they'd rather sell us a new machine.

5. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst this is not strictly "on topic" - the JVC SVHS/HD combo machines (HMHDS1 and HMHDS4) cannot have their drives replaced with another one as part of the operating system is on the hard disc. If you want to replace the drive you have to have a back-up of the original disc contents for the machine to be able to boot up with a replacement disc. Even so, it will still not recognise a larger hard disc. As PhilipL says, many "have tried" - including me and failed!