Question adding to LNB Sky Q

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by AVIT, May 17, 2019.

1. AVIT

AVIT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

i have sky Q , as such a new LNB wideband which only has 2 outputs. i just wondered what the quickest and easiest solution would for the following

SKY Q is in the lounge , we have log cabin in the garden which is no more than 6 meters from the dish whereby i would like to cable the cabin with the sky feed so i can move the Sky Q box to the cabin as and when needed ( summer nights ) , it will only be used in either the lounge or the cabin at any one time not both . i see that sky cleverly now only supply and install a dual LNB so i cant add 2 more cables . the hybrids i can find online only have 2 for sky Q and 4 for other freestat boxes , so really not sure of my options . certainly not paying 13 for multi screen ... any ideas you clever people ?
    many thanks

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    Get the 6 output hybrid lnb wire . Connect two of the 6 outputs to the log cabin. When you move the Q box to the log cabin it will auto select to work with the Sky-Q box just the same as in the other position. Any two outputs can be used with the Sky-Q box.

Hybrid 6 Way LNB for Sky Q Sky HD Freesat EL010 15268 | eBay

3. AVIT

AVIT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow that was easy thank you , I couldn’t find anywhere that stated that the q box would work with the 4 undedicated line outs so wasn’t sure if the q box could only be located in the 2 rather than the other 4 .. are these LNBs simple to change ?

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    Very easy to change. None of the outputs are dedicated any two can be used for Sky-Q. So far no-one has figured out how the lnb knows what is connected at the remote end. Rather than hybrid smart might be a better description. :)

5. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    Like GLT says. Simples. But when you change it, be very careful to be gentle with it so as not to knock your dish off alignment. And pay attention to the skew angle at which the original is fitted.

6. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +956
    No need to change LNB if you only want the one box to work in one of two locations at any one time?

Just extend cables from Lounge to Garden room and use a cable joiner when you relocate.

It may also be practical to use 2 x power pass splitters to feed both Q box locations all the time (as I understand it) to avoid the joiner connecting palaver.
    Sky Q lnb one cable is all H channels, the other all V channels so splitting is possible (subject to cable and splitter losses being within spec of the Q receiver-tuners)?
    Sky Q satellite aerial split?

7. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    Using 4 of THESE would make Roders' first option easier

8. AVIT

AVIT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks you to all that responded , I like the idea of the hybrid , with the push on adapters , justvworrie I will mess up the alignment of the new LNB .... watch this space thanks all very helpful

9. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    You won't as long as you are gentle with it. It's not the LNB alignment, it's the dish alignment that you have to be careful about.
    The carrier comes on and off the boom easy enough. If you don't get a new carrier with the new LNB, then remove the carrier from the boom, change the LNB then refit the carrier to the boom.

10. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    All hybrid LNB outputs default to legacy. A Sky Q box has a permanent signal on its outputs which tells the LNB to change to wideband mode on the outputs it is connected to.

11. AVIT

AVIT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all again , the technical knowledge is outstanding ... I will give an lnb change a go I think and update later , I guess if it works in the lounge by next week , it will work in the cabin ... now which tv shall i buy ....

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  12. AVIT

AVIT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Update - hybrid lnb ordered and received , fitted yesterday and couldn’t be easier , corrected the skew , luckily and I did t know they’re actually numbered so that helped , original cables added and checked my signal which was “good” fed the cable to the summer house and hey presto , another good signal . Thanks for the advice

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List