• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Adding to home Opus system

cslink23

Standard Member
Thanks for so much wisdom on this forum. I've read lots but haven't found what I need due to the constraints of my existing system.

We recently moved into a house with a distribution closet on the main level. From the closet, each room gets coax and Cat5 network jacks.
The closet also has 1 Opus MCU500 and 4 zones (via DZM20 amps mounted in the closet - not in the zones).

Each zoned room has a wall controller (cat5 wired back to base) and so far we are able listen to local radio tuned by the Opus MCU500 and CDs played on the receiver, also in the closet.

Our family's music collection resides on a D-Link DNS-321 NAS drive. Currently, any member can play music on his/her laptop via itunes (or mediamonkey, etc.). Also, any room TVs get cable signal from the closet via coax.

To my knowledge, there are no Opus installers anywhere near my area so this will need to be a DIY project.

I would like to gradually add to this system (as funds become available) to:
1. Listen to NAS music via zone speakers (instead of just laptops). Also, each zone should be able to hear a different selection.

?? Should I try to add a device to the closet for multiple stream distribution or in each room (as a loptop is used now)?

?? Would a wall panel upgrade (current models have only a small LCD) solve the selection (UI) problem best?

2. View Internet-based (Netflix, YouTube, Picassa) and NAS-stored Video/Pictures (DVD-rips, DVR recordings, home videos, pictures) from any room.

?? Should this be integrated into the audio solution or standalone?
?? Should this be carried via coax or via network?

3. Add new stations to the unfinished basement with same purposes.
?? Should I add an additional Opus system for expansion or look to another system?

4. Looking farther into the future, I would like to outfit a Theater Room in the basement. Access to the Nas would be crucial although this would not be the only source.

I realize this is a large requirement, but I feel that if all is not considered together the plan would be jeopardized.

Thanks for your thoughtful input in advance!

Prdoney

Standard Member
Hi there,

Seen your query but to give you a better idea I would need to know what type of keypads you have WCU500 or WCU600's. Also is there a VSU500 in the closet? Where do the cat 5 outlets and coax go to? Do the cat 5 outlets
There are so many variations that to give you a better idea a lot more info would be needed.
If you give me your private email , I might be able to help as the setup I have is also a DIY one.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom