Adding to floorstanders for a 5/7.1 setup

munib

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, i've bought a house and have had a pair of Tannoy V4's connected to a Sony STR-DH820 to bring over with me, but am happy to replace any of them if necessary.

I am looking for suggestions on what to add to it or replace it with, whether new or used items to turn it into a surround sound setup. I have seen some additional V4's used online for around £120 but don't know whether it would be sensible to have 4 floorstanders.

I would also appreciate suggestions on how to place and focus any rear speakers, whether that be either side of where I was thinking of putting the main sofa, or the back of the room and which way they should be firing if not right at the back of the room.

Below is the floor plan, the fireplace is already there, and then what I was thinking for the sofa and tv placement.

Capture.PNG

I'm also not really sure what tv to go for, but the 50" thats already in there currently seems a bit small.

They would be used for netflix movies and shows, streaming some pc games, and consoles like a nintendo switch, ps3, and ps2, and occasionally playing some 90's hiphop, garage, and jungle music.

The room walls are insulated but is not soundproofed and is detached, so I don't have immediate neighbours to worry about.

I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited:
Which speakers you have there? You only mentioned V4s, but i assume you have the rest of the V range as you mentioned 5.1/7.1. No need for floorstanders for the effect channels. I would stick with 5.1 system and have the surround speakers at the side walls each side slightly behind the couch angled toward them. You have some door / opening just where it says Sofa? so there is that corner where you can put one on speaker stand and same for opposite side.

5_1_spkrplc.jpg

You may want to change the av-receiver for a more modern model with 4K HDMI connections when you purchase new tv! Denon X2700H is quite typical choice with all the connections and features you need.

50" tv would be too small for bedroom so yep time to move on. I would buy as large as you can afford cause the watching distance isn´t short looking where your couch/tv will be and for 4K things are bit different to your old 1080p. Biggest mistake people make they are scared going big and then after week they cry why they didn`t choose larger. Please don`t be that guy! Personally i would go for 75" right away, but i don´t know your budget. Quick look to Richer Sounds site shows that you can get 75" tv under 1000£!!!

To see the extra detail of 4K, you can sit closer — 1 to 1-1/2 times the screen size.

TV Screen sizeViewing distance range for 4K
40"3.3-5 feet
43"3.6-5.4 feet
50"4.2-6.3 feet
55"4.6-6.9 feet
60"5-7.5 feet
65"5.4-8.1 feet
70"5.8-8.75 feet
75"6.3-9.4 feet
80"6.7-10 feet
85"7.1-10.6 feet

Which speakers you have there? You only mentioned V4s, but i assume you have the rest of the V range as you mentioned 5.1/7.1. No need for floorstanders for the effect channels. I would stick with 5.1 system and have the surround speakers at the side walls each side slightly behind the couch angled toward them. You have some door / opening just where it says Sofa? so there is that corner where you can put one on speaker stand and same for opposite side.

5_1_spkrplc.jpg

You may want to change the av-receiver for a more modern model with 4K HDMI connections when you purchase new tv! Denon X2700H is quite typical choice with all the connections and features you need.

50" tv would be too small for bedroom so yep time to move on. I would buy as large as you can afford cause the watching distance isn´t short and for 4K things are bit different to your old 1080p. Biggest mistake people make they are scared going big and then after week they cry why they didn`t choose larger. Please don`t be that guy! Personally i would go for 75" right away, but i don´t know your budget. Quick look to Richer Sounds site shows that you can get 75" tv under 1000£!!!

To see the extra detail of 4K, you can sit closer — 1 to 1-1/2 times the screen size.

TV Screen sizeViewing distance range for 4K
40"3.3-5 feet
43"3.6-5.4 feet
50"4.2-6.3 feet
55"4.6-6.9 feet
60"5-7.5 feet
65"5.4-8.1 feet
70"5.8-8.75 feet
75"6.3-9.4 feet
80"6.7-10 feet
85"7.1-10.6 feet
Thanks for the TV and receiver suggestions although the x2700h is a bit pricy for me I wouldn't want to spend more than £350 on a receiver.

I only have the 2 floorstanders at the moment, which I got from a richersounds deal many years ago, it is only a 2.0 setup at the moment whilst living at my parents house. Now that i'm buying my own house I would like to make it a 5.1 setup so I was looking for suggestions on what to buy as surrounding speakers/centre/subwoofer to add to it.

Thanks for the TV and receiver suggestions although the x2700h is a bit pricy for me I wouldn't want to spend more than £350 on a receiver.

I only have the 2 floorstanders at the moment, which I got from a richersounds deal many years ago, it is only a 2.0 setup at the moment whilst living at my parents house. Now that i'm buying my own house I would like to make it a 5.1 setup so I was looking for suggestions on what to buy as surrounding speakers/centre/subwoofer to add to it.

Sadly the prices are very high at the moment so something like 450£ is the lowest you find new model.

But what i would do when you know what you are buying is ask from the shop manager to make you good deal including tv and receiver so you get some discount.

As for speakers you need to look 2nd hand. I would send message to this guy would he sell the center channel and the surrounds for you. If he only sells it as package then 100£ is not much really, you could sell the 2nd pair V4s and easily get like 50£ or so.

Subwoofer is going to cost lot more. How much you can spend for sub?

I can live £450 for the amp. I'm not moving in for another month or so, so I can keep an eye out on deals for either of those receivers thanks

If the other speakers are going to be that cheap then i'd probably say around £300 or so but no hard number, i've just pulled it out.

I`m afraid you won´t see deals for receivers as the availability is poor at the moment. Best way would be to buy together with tv and ask discount! I know Richer Sounds can do it.

If you looking new product then BK P12-300SB without doubt, but you have to up your budget slightly. It´s the go to product with such limited budget. Plenty of finish options to keep wife happy and suit room decor. You can even choose down firing model so the box will look more like wooden furniture. Kid and pet safe too then. Notice the different dimensions though. BK builds woofers in UK Essex since 1992. Internet direct business model so one middle man less meaning better price for you. Great support/service aswell so you aren´t left alone after warranty period (2years).

Scroll this link to bottom and you will find three reviews for it.

I`m afraid you won´t see deals for receivers as the availability is poor at the moment. Best way would be to buy together with tv and ask discount! I know Richer Sounds can do it.

If you looking new product then BK P12-300SB without doubt, but you have to up your budget slightly. It´s the go to product with such limited budget. Plenty of finish options to keep wife happy and suit room decor. You can even choose down firing model so the box will look more like wooden furniture. Kid and pet safe too then. Notice the different dimensions though. BK builds woofers in UK Essex since 1992. Internet direct business model so one middle man less meaning better price for you. Great support/service aswell so you aren´t left alone after warranty period (2years).

Thank you i'll go for that sub.

With the speaker package you sent, could I keep the floorstanders to make a 7.1 setup? If so, where should I position the additional floorstanders?

They would go quite far away and more narrow at the back wall behind the pool table as you don´t want to have speakers / wires running middle of room. Also the Yamaha model i linked is 5.1 model so you would have to re-think that too then...

7_1_spkrplc.jpg

They would go quite far away and more narrow at the back wall behind the pool table as you don´t want to have speakers / wires running middle of room. Also the Yamaha model i linked is 5.1 model so you would have to re-think that too then...

7_1_spkrplc.jpg

Ahh ok never mind then. Thanks for all the advice :)

Would it be worth getting 2 smaller subs instead of 1 big one, just wondering because of what i've been told by some people and also seeing in some youtube vids. Idon't mind spending more if it is actually better, now i'm willing to spend up to £700 on a sub/2 subs since I don't plan on replacing it/them.

Would it be worth getting 2 smaller subs instead of 1 big one, just wondering because of what i've been told by some people and also seeing in some youtube vids. Idon't mind spending more if it is actually better, now i'm willing to spend up to £700 on a sub/2 subs since I don't plan on replacing it/them.

I wouldn´t personally buy anything smaller than sealed sub with 12" driver. 410£ is silly low price for the BK, you might find 2nd later used cheaper. Even if you have to buy second new it´s not bad really assuming you can fit two of those. My assumption would be that you would place them at the front corners (tv wall) or one at front corner L/R and the 2nd to rear wall behind the pool table, opposite to front sub (not same side). Placement will be important as always with woofers. SVS SB1000 Pro would be great if size is issue cause the cab is something like 33x33x34cm, but it would cost 495£/each (with -10% discount). I think this is the smallest sealed sub in the market with 12" driver and beefy amp, response down to 20hz in-room. I would see it better as the cheaper BK, but do you want to spend the extra and is the finish suitable for your room.... It does have newer tech, longer warranty, phone app control etc. SVS is probably most known subwoofer manufacturer, US company. But BK is made in UK Essex so some people want to support local company. Both should put a smile on your face though. What`s your thought of this?

I wouldn´t personally buy anything smaller than sealed sub with 12" driver. 410£ is silly low price for the BK, you might find 2nd later used cheaper. Even if you have to buy second new it´s not bad really assuming you can fit two of those. My assumption would be that you would place them at the front corners (tv wall) or one at front corner L/R and the 2nd to rear wall behind the pool table, opposite to front sub (not same side). Placement will be important as always with woofers. SVS SB1000 Pro would be great if size is issue cause the cab is something like 33x33x34cm, but it would cost 495£/each (with -10% discount). I think this is the smallest sealed sub in the market with 12" driver and beefy amp, response down to 20hz in-room. I would see it better as the cheaper BK, but do you want to spend the extra and is the finish suitable for your room.... It does have newer tech, longer warranty, phone app control etc. SVS is probably most known subwoofer manufacturer, US company. But BK is made in UK Essex so some people want to support local company. Both should put a smile on your face though. What`s your thought of this?
Thanks. Other than the £100, whats the difference between the P12-300SB-DF at £409 and P12-300SB-PR at £499?

Funnily enough that's what @jonjames is trying to figure out:

Thanks. Other than the £100, whats the difference between the P12-300SB-DF at £409 and P12-300SB-PR at £499?

The PR model has passive radiator so it works more like ported sub with stronger output below 30hz. Ideal for movies and larger rooms as BK put it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom