Adding Surround sound to a 2ch amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by KevB_UK, Jun 9, 2002.

1. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a Marantz PM4200 amp which I would like to add surround sound to. The amp is not that old so replacing it is not an option. I'm using Mission 772 speakers with the amp and I'm more than happy with the sound, I'd just like to add Dolby Digital and DTS, maybe even Prologic 2 but I reckon this might be outside my price range.

I would like an amp that has 3 channels to drive the centre and rear speakers, I've found the Yamaha E800, but this is more expensive than my amp was. I'd like something around the £150 price bracket.

Is this a good idea or would I be better off forgetting about it?

Thanks a lot.

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Kev,

The DSP-E800 would be ideal for your needs. Not sure if there are any simelar models around. I used to use one and found it excellent. I think I ended up selling it for around £150 in the classifieds, so it might be worth checking if there are any going at the moment.

Another option would be to buy a cheap DD/DTS 5 channel reciever. I would imagine it wouldn't sound as good though. Better to have a decent amp for stereo and something like the Yam to fill in for movies.

Regards Rob.