Adding sub to Cambridge 840A

Atchi123

Hi
Thinking of a adding a BK Monolith to my stereo set-up (see sig) and know that the 840a has a set of pre-outs. However is there any easy way of managing the crossover for the speakers as I would like to lessen the bass load on the CM7s? I presume an external crossover would be the only option?
Thanks
Steve

pocketsleo

Hi
Thinking of a adding a BK Monolith to my stereo set-up (see sig) and know that the 840a has a set of pre-outs. However is there any easy way of managing the crossover for the speakers as I would like to lessen the bass load on the CM7s? I presume an external crossover would be the only option?
Thanks
Steve
Hi, the Monolith has high and low level outputs. The high level lead which is supplied, would connect from your amp speaker terminals to the high level connection on the Monolith, then set the high level crossover on the Monolith where your speakers roll off. The low level connection would connect from your 805 via phono lead also supplied, to the low level connection on the Monolith, but the crossover for low level would be adjusted via your 805, keeping the high and low level seperate. Being a Monolith owner myself, i can say you will be very impressed and you will probably find your psw2500 for sale!

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Hi
Thanks
Steve

There's no easy way of doing this I'm afraid. Whilst adding an external crossover might indeed help alleviate the speakers of bass duties and in theory improve sound quality, it also means you would need to integrate the sub with the speakers (difficult job to do right) and of course not to mention the sound will be affected by the quality of the external crossover. You might lose what you gain but without experimenting its difficult to say, perhaps some from the DIY scene can advise on suitable 'hi-fi' quality crossovers if there is such a thing. Some people use AV processors that have full bass management controls in digital domain however I've always found the DACs and Pre-amp inside AV processors to be somewhat lacking with stereo.

As an alternative, if you find the bass a little muddy and overall presentation congested with your current amp+speaker combo, you might well benefit from bi amping the bass drivers with a dedicated power amp/mono blocks. It should lighten the load on everything, tighten up the bass and open up the sound with better separation and clarity. Just a thought.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Hi, the Monolith has high and low level outputs. The high level lead which is supplied, would connect from your amp speaker terminals to the high level connection on the Monolith, then set the high level crossover on the Monolith where your speakers roll off.

As said.

I use a XLS200 as Pocketsleo suggested between an AV and HiFi amp. With some help and guidance, I've managed to get a pretty much seamless roll off between the hifi and sub

If both setups are in the same room and its a very large room with av and hifi at opposite ends, then you could also use the Monolith for av duties as well to help out the PSW. Or if it is that good, sell the PSW to help pay for the Monolith:D.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom