1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Stereo Amp to AV Set up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stinky985, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, am thinking about possible upgrading my AV set up to get something better for music. Is it worthwile adding a dedicated stereo amp and connecting to thje av amp somehow to get a better music sound? Is it worthwile and how do you do it?
    I have Denon 2200 dvd player which i will need to use for CD playback (limited space). I have AE Aegis Evo 3's which will be the main stero pair.

2. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If your AV amp has pre-outs for the front speakers then U buy the stereo amp, connect the front speakers to the stereo amp, and plug those pre-outs from the AV amp into a line-in on the stereo amp. Then for AV purposes your stereo amp controls the front speakers and the AV amp the others. I'm about to go this route myself.

3. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ... and you will need to connect cd player (or denon 2200 in my case) to the stereo amp via normal rca line in (cd)? Is that correct?
    what will happen for films then? how would you set up the surround sound?

4. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    No - you still connect your DVD player to the AV amp in the normal way, leave the gain on your stereo amp in a fixed position (usually about half way :eek: ), then control your volume through the Av amp. You could another set of RCA outs to your av amp if you wish, but means fiddling with two sets of volume levels anytime you wish to play a CD.

5. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so if the av amp has pre outs and they are connected, should it route the signal directly to the stereo amp and not process it itself?
    I have a SAXR 45 which i find ok for films, but not to my liking for music.

6. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It will still process the signal, just not amplify it.

7. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok so is it worth it? should i buy a more musical receiver and be done?

8. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technically speaking, it should be worthy but in practice...

I just upgrade from my stereo, AudioLab 8000 C+P to 7.1ch Pioneer AX5Ai. I did try lots of AB testing including using AudioLab 8000P as the main amp for stereo. The result is a bit disappointing that, unless you're using a very very high volume, otherwise AX5Ai sounds a bit "brighter", "open", "tidy full frequency range". I also did try to use sliver cable to brighten the sound for Audiolab 8000 but compare the results, it failed.

Of course, it's difficult to conclude anything as there's a more than 10 years gap (both technology & material) for 8000P & AX5Ai. But just want to share...

9. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've tried it in the past and I would only consider doing it again if I had a stereo amp with a "processor" function as some call it or one of various other names.

this basically means you don't have to adjust the volume on the stereo amp it seems to make it just into a power amp with the A/V Amp acting as the processor so you can set it to this input then use whatever method you use to match the levels of your speakers for surround and then you know it will be right each time if you use this input.

Then if you want to listen to a CD you should plumb the CD Player into an available input on the stereo amp. This way you get the best quality for your cd's without having to go through the A/V amp at all.

If you are only using one player then if it has analogue outputs you can put the front L & R of these in the one of the inputs on the stereo amp and use that but to be honest it is a bit of a pain having the cludge of two systems half put together like this. I don't think it's worth doing to be honest unless you are desperate for better stereo, otherwise you could just upgrade the A/V Amp / CD or DVD Player to get a better sound.

Steff