Adding SSD to current PC. Advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Racehunter, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Racehunter

Racehunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I built my PC 12 months ago following advice on AV Forums and now intend to do some upgrades following a few issues.

The current spec is:
    Antec 300 case
    Asus M4A87TD/USB3 Mobo
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor
    Seagate Barracuda ST3500418AS 500GB SATA II HDD
    Palit GeForce GTX 460 768MB Graphics Card
    Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 Blackline RAM
    Be Quiet 600W Straight Power E7 PSU
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I have just purchased an OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 120GB SSD and intend to do a clean install of Windows 7, MS Office and a few other programmes to that, then clean the existing HDD using the Diskpart utility and restore the user profiles and associated documents and settings from a back-up held on a 1TB external desktop HDD.

I have done some research into carrying out this change, but I have not really found a simple 'walk through' process explained. can anyone write such a step by step process to minimise the risk of me ballsing it up?

I think that before loading Windows I have to do something in the BIOS set-up relative to the new SSD and I am also not sure how to link the user profiles on the HDD to Windows etc on the SSD.

Hoping to get on with it this afternoon, so any help appreciated. Incidentally, this disc drive change has been brought about by a large number of BSOD's and lock-ups the PC has suffered over the last few months. Having run Memtest 86 for 14 passes (all OK) updated BIOS, updated (correctly) all drivers, reseated all components, the problems still exist. I even get BSOD and lock up in safe mode, and once, had it shut down while accessing the WWW through Asus Express Gate (a utility that can be used before the OS loads). Last week I cleaned the HDD and reinstalled Win 7 and still got a crash, so my thought is that it is hardware related.

Steve

2. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Physically disconnect all hard drives except the SSD.
    Fit SSD, switch on, go into BIOS set SSD as secondary boot (after DVD)
    Install windows.
    Shut down PC.
    Reconnect all other hard drives

As for BSOD could be memory or hard drive issue, what's the error code given?

3. Racehunter

Racehunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply Berties. I have now installed the SSD and loaded windows, Office 2010, Mcafee and run all the updates, but have still had a few issues. Before connecting the original and clean HDD I was still getting a number of BSOD's. The problems seemed to be worse on initial boot-up, sometimes taking 4 or 5 resets to get up and running. I have started to suspect the PSU, thinking that perhaps it was not supplying correct voltages to allow all of the Windows start up processes to operate. Following a posting on the Sevenforums.com site with a zip folder of the minidump info, I am even more convinced than ever and will probably order a new PSU to try..........I will feed back any useful info.

Now onto another problem. When i connected the HDD, the PC refused to boot correctly, stalling at the BIOS screen after I entered it with the intention of changing the boot sequence. All I get is the MemOk led lighting up and even a reset fails to start it. It seems to boot with only one drive connected, but fails with 2. Any ideas?

4. Racehunter

Racehunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have solved the 'non-boot' issue with both drives connected. All down to my own operator error, as I had plugged the SSD into the second SATA plug and not the end plug. Currently restoring user profiles to HDD and when that is done, I will stress test the whole system to see if the PSU change has worked.

5. Berties

Berties
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    eh?

6. Racehunter

Racehunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The PSU installation manual states that the SATA power cable plugs (4 at different points on a 'bunched' cable) must be installed so that the end plug (furthest away from the PSU) is connected to the prime drive, especially if this is a SSD, then adding other SATA drives power plugs in order.

Not sure why, but switching them round has enabled me to boot into BIOS and change the settings to accomodate the 6Gb transfer speed of the SSD and currently its still working.

Steve

7. yazooo

yazooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have same model SSD but 240 GB version. On my mobo I also had to enable AHCI mode on the SATA port. Then did fresh install. After that I ran some SSD tweak software I found in a guide to enable some advanced options in windows for performance. I have the link at home if you need. Running great for me now, very quick and responsive in windows.

8. yazooo

yazooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Oh I also checked the FW of my SSD drive before installing anything to make sure it was up to date. You update an SSD if it's a system drive without losing everything.

9. Racehunter

Racehunter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Yazoo. Luckily my SSD came with the current version of the firmware but I am sure I will have to go through the update process during its life!

All I need to do now is figure out how to ensure that the data I restore from my Windows back-up is readable by the users it applies to. I have managed to move the User folders and ProgramData folders to D drive by way of a .xml script executed in Win 7 audit mode, so as not to outgrow the SSD (C drive), but am uncertain as how best to carry out the 'restore' function.

My gut reaction was to select 'restore to another location' which I did, aiming it at D drive but that simply placed a folder entitled C with subfolders Users etc which did not get picked up by the newely moved User and Progdata folders.

If anyone has a suggestion..........

Steve