Adding Songs To iPhone 3G !

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by judethedude, Feb 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I manually added songs to my iPhone this morning without any problem but when I set iTunes to sync other items it deleted the songs I had manually added.

How do I add songs to my iPhone so that I can add/delete/select them in the Music tab in the same way I can with apps ?

The only selections shown in iTunes under my iPhones Music tab are the iTunes playlists.

Therefore, in order to add songs to my iPhone, I have to create a playlist in iTunes and then it is shown as a selection option under the iPhone music tab.

Surely, creating a playlist is not the only way to and manage songs in iTunes !

Thankyou

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. UselessLuke

UselessLuke
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +358
    You can drag and drop songs onto the iPhone and delete manually from it by expanding the dropdown next to the iPhone when it is connected

The alternative is to do the same with a playlist, like you say. But what is the problem with syncing to a playlist? Soon I'm going to create a 2nd playlist to sync to. The 1st being the main core of my music that I always want there and a 2nd for stuff that I'm happy to swap out whenever I want, depending on my current listening trends. You can add and delete songs from here just as you can from the iTunes music tab.

Personally, I love syncing to playlists

3. stevemc81

stevemc81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I just ticked the option to manually manage my music then dragged and dropped the stuff i wanted from the library onto the iphone in itunes

4. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks for the posts.

I just thought there maybe another way of doing it rather than having to create a playlist. I'm familiar with the manual drop & drag option but then it means you can't use the sync for music as it will then automatically delete everything that has been manually added to your iPhone.

Thanks again.

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    I have a large music library (80gb) so i do this:

1. created a folder
    2. drop the songs into it from my main music library (10Gb)
    3. give iTunes access to that folder and that folder only (using file -> add folder)
    4. sync with iTunes

turn off any options that iTunes has to manage your library in anyway - I would never give iTunes access to my whole library as i don't trust it (because its rubbish!!!) only this morning it deleted all my contacts and i have no idea why (even though the the option to wipe the phone wasn't selected)

1st act as world leader would be to wipe iTunes from the face of the earth, 2nd act, publically flog the idiots that coded it.

G

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. judethedude

judethedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Hi Gary, thanks for the post.

Your right about iTunes, I find it's great at some things and a real b*ll ache at others. I have all the iTunes manage library preferences turned off as I have several applications that can access the library and there's no way I want iTunes wrecking the party.

I originally used iTunes a music server and therefore imported all my music into it. However, I now have another application to do this and so have removed all my music from the iTunes library. I'll now only add the songs I want on my iPhone to iTunes, create a playlist for specific groups and then this way I'll have complete access to them from the iPhone.

Thanks again.

7. nickel

nickel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Any body know why sometimes when i put an album into my itunes it decides to split the folder and spread the tracks seperatley like dog ***** just put a various artist album on and give me an album icon for evey artist :suicide: its done this a couple of times but just split it into two or three not twenty :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  8. Tom`

Tom`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yeh I think you need to highlight them all and then go on Properties -> Part of a compilation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2009
  9. nickel

nickel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers Tom will try that.... now wheres my pooper scooper :D