• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Adding smart WiFi switch to existing downlights

Macco95

Novice Member
So I am currently building a new home, and eventually want to use either Google home or Amazon Alexa to control my lighting and some power points . But I still want to use the switch gear that I've put on the house through the builder. If I get the "smart dimmer" can I wire it up behind my switch in the wall cavity so you can't even see it? Or do I actually have to press the switch to turn on the lights and then start dimming it? Or can I just switch my normal switch which will then turn on the smart dimmer, and start dimming?

Or would a better option be... My downlights all have their own sockets, so would I put a smart WiFi plug into all them or would that mess up the plug as the power to them will be going off and on all the time?

And with the smart socket plugged in can I still just use the light as normal?

Planning to use Samsung smart things hub and I'll have clipsal iconic switch gear.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom