Adding Satellite to Philips 935

Andyclockwise

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've tried finding a thread. I want to ditch SkyQ (installed 18 months ago) and feed the cable into my new Philips 935. I've seen threads saying that the LNB needs changing, and also another that seems to contradict this in the case of newer 4k TVs.
I've checked my user manual and it says:
" You can install up to 4 satellites (4 LNBs) on this TV. Select the exact number of satellites you wish to install at the start of the installation. This will speed up the installation. Unicable You can use a Unicable system* to connect the antenna dish to the TV. You can select Unicable for up to 4 satellites at the start of the installation. * Note: supports Unicable 1 (EN50494) and Unicable 2 (EN50607/JESS). "

I have no idea if I have a unicable system and I have 1 month to sort this before the SkyQ box goes back and would appreciate any advice and help the group can send my way.

$ky Q uses a special / proprietary 'wideband' LNB with their installs. Incompatible with most other receivers (the newest freesat-branded 4k receivers are the exception).
All such wideband LNB receivers need two cables inputs as one carries all Horizontal polarised the other all Vertical polarised.

Q receivers also can use Unicable / SCR (most often found in communal installs) that only needs one cable in to them. Other sat receiver can use such LNBs, too.

Swapping the LNB to one the TV accepts is the only way. Plenty of threads here on how to/alternative LNBs.

Work out how many tuners your TV supports for recording if desired and check if it receives the freesat EPG / logical channel numbering.
Free to air satellite receivers are not especially user friendly and need to be regularly kept up to date tuning wise.

Thanks, I'm wondering if the better way to go would be splash out on a 4k Freesat PVR with the money I will save ditching Sky, I was hoping to keep things simple and only one remote to worry my better half with though.

The first thing to do is to connect the satellite cable as shown on page 8 of the manual then run pages 19-21 to see whether it works.
If it does then you’re OK, if not then you replace the LNB.

Channel 4 HD isn't available on freesat, but is on Freeview. As far as I can see the TV is not freesat branded so now/next EPG on that and all the tuning/favourites/updating problems. It also has only one F-socket input so will not work (properly if at all) with the Q wideband LNB!

It is Freeview Play though, if you have a working UHF TV aerial. Freeview PVRs are cheaper than the latest freesat units. Check the TV station line up for your address at the Freeview website.

PVR remote controls will switch TV on/off and control volume via a universal remote feature just like the $ky remote does now though?

It’s difficult to work out from the manual 8 19-21 what satellite features it has but you’re definitely right about Freesat not being one of them.

Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom