1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Adding SATA drive with data to IDE based system

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gordonfmoore, Mar 16, 2005.

1. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

my system died. I'd just got it all running sweet and I thought I'll just load this lil old rugby game with Jono Wilkinson on the front cover and his curse has struck me. :eek:

The install hung, no action, stuck. Rebooted, except it wouldn't. No system disk found!!! Drat and lots of sweat.

Tried to use xp recovery, but can't see the disk which is a 200Gb Maxtor SATA. I could see I was going to need a floppy drive. Ran upstairs, ripped one out of an old computer, started pulling my media center (centre in uk) from out of the pile of boxes. Eventually connected floppy - system wouldn't recognise it.

I could see this was going to be a pain and would probably happen again so decided to go back to IDE and grabbed an old IBM deskstar 30G disk - will do for the os.

Thought I'd have a go at grabbing my Ghosted clean system. Booted up with Ghost cd, eventually waited and waited, located my dvd with image on, started restoring to ide drive. Except that hung as well. So that was a waste of £30 and 1 hour. :mad:

Did clean install of mce onto ide leaving SATA in place, but of course no F6 and no floppy (it won't read a cd how crap is that!!!)

Okay so xp mce loaded. But no SATA drive recognised.

Look in MSConfig and disk management and see that the SATA is there but is unallocated. Only option on right click is to set new partition.

What I don't know is what that will do? :confused:

Obviously in the muck up the mbr has got truly mucked up and possibly lost partition info, but I guess the data might still be there, which would be nice, although not desperately vital. I had backed up my carefully retagged and reimaged music.

Anyone got any ideas on helping me with my sob story - I'm pretty upset!!!
    :( :lease:

and I was going to revisit the idea of sex with my wife tonight.

Gordon.

2. Grumble

Grumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Gordon

When you added the floppy drive to the system, did you check the bios?

Graham

3. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I know the feeling.

I would think that the MFT is fubared. Disconnect the IDE. Boot XP from cd, get into the recovery consol (you will need system password), you may need SATA driver disk. From there check the XP installaions select the one on SATA. Type help, look for fixboot and fixmft something like that, might you going, then run chkdsk with repair.

4. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, but I'm really hoping I can get into the SATA drive now from my new installation.

I did check the bios, but I couldn't figure out what other setting to try. I'm pretty certain I'd connected the floppy the right way round, but the light wouldn't come on and without that floppy I can't load the drivers.

I'm thinking that setting the partition might just make it visible without rewriting the file table or whatever its called in NTFS. A format would make it unusable.

And thanks for the sympathy. What's really annoying is all the tweaks that I did and now I've got to remember them again. I should write it all down. Anyway at least it suspends and restores properly - at the moment - and its a clean system. Hacked off at Ghost though.

Gordon

5. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Pin 1 one on the cable is red. Look for 1 written on the floppy disk board, usually its inboard, towards the middle. If the MFT (which I bet it is) master file table is fubared it won't mount. The MFT has a copy which XP uses to recover use the method I explained it will recover without reformat.

6. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, can't figure that floppy, the number of times I've used them - wierd, but I think the BIOS is the culprit, in that there is a setting I haven't enabled.

Anyway the good news, the great news is that a prog called TestDrive has saved the day. Found the copies of the partition table and mbr and rewrote them back in and now I have my disk.

I've written up the details for what they're worth at

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commu...=97957&TopicPage=&Post=True&AutoApprove=false

Don't think I'm going to go back to a SATA as my boot drive until ms sort out loading drivers from CDROM.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Gordon :clap: