adding rear speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Davoid, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Davoid

Davoid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,
    At present I have a Pioneer VSX-LX60 hocked up with Polk Audio RT1 A7 mains,
    PolkAudio CS10 center, Polk Audio PSW110 sub. No rear speakers at present.

I was thinking of getting another set of floor standing speakers to use as rears, instead of a pair of bookshelf and stands. Is this alright to do? or should you only use bookshelf speakers for the rear audio. If floor standing were alright I would probably only get a pair of basic floor standing speakers.

The main reason for this is that the position for them is between two living areas and I thought they may look nicer and less chance of being knocked off the stands.

thanks for any help,
    David

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Rears really need to be above head height from the viewing location which often rules out floorstanders. Also for the same money standmounts tend to sound better. I would get the speakers to match your fronts, so same make and model. How much space do you have at the rear? If floorstanders were to work they would need to be a fair way back(a few metres) so that the sound can disperse. I would say standmounts on good stands are no easier to tip over than floorstanders. Use some blutac to hold them to the stand and they will never fall of the stand.

3. Davoid

Davoid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you PSM1 for clearing this up for me. I will look at bookshelf speakers then as they will be just behind where I sit, as I don't have the space to have them further back.

thanks again,
    David