Adding more watts

Danhifi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Rotel A14 with 80 watts a channel. I am getting the Rotel RC 1572 paired with the RB 1582 mk II 200 watts a channel. Does that mean with the same speakers that it will be louder at the same number on the dial then the Rotel A14?

Maybe, possibly, possibly not - all depends on how they have implemented the gain structure in the volume circuits or what type of potentiometer they have used. Different amps can have very different volume control profiles, usually they are logarithmic, but some or linear, some have a modified (audio) logarithmic therefore 50% on one amp does not not mean 50% watts, it could be 24%, 50% 75% and anything inbetween. The only constant is that to get 3dB increase in sound you have to double the power and it is generally taken that you need 10dB change to have a perceived doubling in volume. This has no relation to the volume knob setting though.

I wouldn't bother yourself about where the volume knob sits are it is usually has not relation to the watts output unless you know the gain profile and usually can't be compared to other amps. Just turn up the new amp volume knob until you like the sound, simple as that.

I have the Rotel A14 with 80 watts a channel. I am getting the Rotel RC 1572 paired with the RB 1582 mk II 200 watts a channel. Does that mean with the same speakers that it will be louder at the same number on the dial then the Rotel A14?
power per se if largely irrelevent in audio, unless you simply want volume. If it's sound quality you're looking for, get an amp that delivers sound without distortion or other features that spoil what the artist wants you to hear. A £3K amp will sound much better than a £300 one of the same power, or even a £300 one of double the quoted power.

Wow. 200 watts! Usually more watts doesn’t mean better sound. You can get 40 watts amplifier which are better. Though that 40 watt amplifier can both be expensive, and not so expensive.

How far is the listing posting ?

What are you trying to achieve?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom