Adding more subwoofers - mixing sealed and vented

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Nick1881, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:28 PM.

1. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hi all,

I'm craving more bass for my addiction. I have a small treated room, only 3.6 x 2.7m. I currently have a custom made sealed Fi SP415 with CV2800 amp in the front left corner and a PSA S1800 in the rear right corner. These have a miniDSP between them and my Anthem, they are time aligned with much help from Matt Khan.

I'm now thing about either swapping a sub for a vented one or adding another 1 or 2 vented subs.

Option 1 - would be to add 2 x BK Monolith+ to my front wall under my L&R speakers which are wall mounted, down firing ones would fit quite nicely. Would these add much? I imagine that it would ease the load on all speakers, I watch at about -17 or -16 normally. Would these add a bit more pressure to the room?

Option 2 - Buy a PSA V1811 and stand it on top of my S1800 firing at the seating position.

Option 3 - Buy a PSA V3611 and replace the S1800, this is probably the most expensive option.

My hope is that a vented sub will add some trouser flapping air movement to the bass. It may sound crazy but I have huge bass needs and this room seems to eat bass up.

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    From my experience ported in a room that small is not recommended, let alone 2 ported. I have had a SVS PB1000 in a room 4.5 x 2.8m and it was just too thick and muddy compared to a sealed sub which also benefited more from room gain, so I went back to the SVS SB models which sounds faster and more natural.

3. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I had a ported SVS cylinder in my room before without a problem. I have plenty of EQ to tame them anyway. I replaced that with the 18" sealed PSA.

4. theJman

theJman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Trying to integrate different alignments is not for the faint of heart so if at all possible you should stick to either sealed or ported, not a combination of both. The phase difference at the crossover region can be a particularly difficult challenge to overcome.

5. simonb3665

simonb3665

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thats a lot of sub in a small room! You have obviously taken a lot of time measuring the response. Is there anything standing out from that? I'm guessing you have gotten rid of any nulls with two subs. Me I too feel that there is some physical slam missing in my system despite trying a few different subs and trying multiples. Fully eq my 15 sealed sounds the same as my ported pc13ultra or my MK350. All can be eq flat to 105 in my room. They sound very lean and 'fast' the same as demo of very high end systems sound. There is 'trouser flap! there, especially ported, but you need to turn it up so loud its too uncomfortable and Im sure very damaging to our ears. Turn off all eq in my room and the graph is very peaky below 40 and has dips at 60 and sounds less accurate/thick but when a gun shot goes off it slams you in the chest and wobbles the sofa. For me I dont think there is a sub or pair of subs which will fix this but it is probably a case of having an option of a house curve that balances accuracy with a bit more fun when called for.
    Have you heard another system that gives you what you are looking for and if so what did it comprise off?

6. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Thanks for the replies. I have spent a lot of time measuring and tweaking. I have a lot of impact and rumble at the moment, I just want more, I want to really feel the air moving. I think that a room with a suspended floor can help a lot with the bass feel, I have laminate over concrete and 3 of my walls are exterior walls. I haven't heard many other systems but I did go to a few car stereo shows in my younger years, I still remember the ground moving when standing next to a van full of subs.

Here is my graph from ARC
    [​IMG]

7. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm currently running an sb and pb 2000 in the same room. I went from the sb to pb but in my room I could not get the ported to work. Running both together sound great although not perfect

8. theJman

theJman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You've likely uncovered the problem; concrete. That will suck the life out of just about any subwoofer. Typically you need a lot of horsepower to overcome that.

Seems pretty impressive for an uncorrected in-room response. Can you get a graph with more detail and less range, say 15-100Hz?

9. Nick1881

Nick1881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    So I'm going to need a lot more subs? lol

That is pre ARC but after tweaking with miniDSP. Here is a REW measurement I did a while ago
    [​IMG]

10. theJman

theJman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is that at the main listening position? If so, that's not at all bad. Is your crossover set at 80Hz by chance? That dip looks like there's a potential phase issue at the crossover point, assuming it's 80Hz of course.