1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Isotek mini sub to Arcam

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by JH1, Oct 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just picked up the original Isotek Mini Sub (Not the latest GII model) from a dealer at a fair saving off original price. I have added it to my system but I am barely noticing any improvement in sound quality. All reports I have read for this piece of equipment rave about it's ability to improve and clean up sound, definition etc etc. This is not really proving to be the case in my experience. :rolleyes: I have a CD73 player at the moment, but will be looking to upgrade to something better soon, be it by dac or new unit. Does anyone think that perhaps the mini sub will only start to perform better with a more revealing/higher resolution player, or is it just one of those products that really is not what it's cracked up to be??????

Does anyone have a mini sub which has any feedback on how it worked with their system???

Jason.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I find that the level of improvement that mains cleaners etc make on a system are very dependent on how bad the mains quality is in the first place and how tolerant the equipment its being used on is to poor mains quality. I have found that Arcam tend to design their power supplies pretty well, particularly on their FMJ products.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree with Crusty, when I added a filter I didn't notice the difference in the sound with my Arcam gear but I did with the picture quality on the Pio plasma

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Yes, these ‘after market' mains fixes ONLY work if you have problems with your mains, and even then these SHOULD be dealt with a properly designed power supply. ARCAM designs it kit well. Their test / listening labs I doubt have anything more than an isolating transformers (block DC) in a bog standard mains ring. The hard work is done by well designed power supplies (which is as it should be). After market ‘fixes' are for those who canM'T be bothered tO sort out any mains issues they might have at source and their kit, with sub standard power supplies, cannot deal with. They are unfortunately not applicable to all systems. I find they work best with SKY boxes in industrial areas. ;)

5. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I added an Isotek unit to my Arcam A85/P85, CD72 setup and didn't notice any difference either. I think as stated above, it depends on your mains and the quality of the equipment you are using.

The Isotek does look nice and has a blue light.....

6. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Never tried the Isotec, or similar, but a Van Den Hul Mainsstream PC improved the sound of my FMJ player very noticeably, as did a friends DV88...

7. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second Lowrider opinion.

I've just added VdH MS to my Av32R, 100x5R and REL Q150e and the improvement was stuning. I recomend it! :smashin:

Also look into Superspikes for speaker isolation. They also do the trick! :thumbsup:

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Isn't it cheaper to fix the problem with the mains?

9. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies guys.

Fortunately I had it on a home trial basis, where the dealer agreed I could return it if there was no improvement, so I have taken it back this morning!
    I have no dedicated spur on my mains so I guess that's testiment to the Arcam's power supply.

I'm going to try the DIY speaker cable theory next and have a go at making up some cable with cat5 as suggested by other forum members on the cables forum. I've only got the original QED (formerly known as Qudos) cable which was about £3 a metre. So I'll see if this gives me any improvement??????

Regards

Jason.

10. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're quite right....it was a great blue light!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

11. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You tell me, I already have dedicated spur and good, not audiophile, breakers, what else can I do... :rolleyes:

Anyway, apparently, or so some say, good PCs also filter electronic garbage coming out of the equipment... I dont know why, what I know is that they do improve the sound of my system, (and many others), actually the only kit that didnt show any difference was the Bryston power...

Also try supports under your player, I tried Audioprism Isobearings, Ceraballs and Stillpoints, all with noticeable improvement, maybe my Audiodesign rack is not good enough... ;)

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Just 'sourced' some 5mm Zirconia balls to play with, need 3, not sure what to do with the other kg of them :)

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Re the mains, I have always taken the view you need to know what the problem is before you can fix it. What is still wrong with yours?

14. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont have any problem, as far as I know, with or without the VDH PCs, but it does sound better with them... :cool:

My dealer wants me to test a Shunyata Hydra, I will if he lends me one, I am not expecting great results, but will keep an open mind... :rolleyes:

15. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, we did the tests this afternoon, mixed results... :rolleyes:

Listening to TAG´s test disc, the Hydra filter with their less expensive PC did improve the sound, their expensive PCs sounded too agressive, then played a piano CD, back to no filter sounded better again, but the expensive PCs did shine now, go figure... :eek: