1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding HC to Arcam kit

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Confused, Apr 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Confused

Confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have searched through the forum and found some relevant information but would appreciate some help on the following:

Looking to add home cinema, want to re-use my Arcam 7R, Arcam 8P, B&W601S2 set-up and use another bit of kit for the centre, rear and subwoofer. Confused over the choices:
    1. Seperate System - not up for this choice, will end up with 4 speakers at the front of the room!!
    2. Yamaha DSP-E800 processor, ok but doesn't cater for Pro-logic2 etc.
    3. Have been told that I can use a reciever/amp and plug into my phono stage to in effect end up with option 2 but with pro-logic 2 and the future option to seperate the systems. I like this option but does it work?? How does it work?? Worried that I will have to balance the sound everytime I want to increase the volume!!

Apologies if this has been covered many times before but don't want to take any chances...

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm looking at Arcam AV stuff too.

To keep it in the family is difficult. I'm sure, but wouldn't bet on it, that some of the newer amps are/can be modular to incorporate an AV board to be released at some point. But that may just be my imagination. It would mean you trade up your current Arcam kit to the newer stuff, so you'd still have Arcam hifi with, in house AV.

IMHO, this is Arcam's kink in the armour, no obvious bolt on, add on processor for their mid range kit. The AV 200 is a stand alone integrated which you wouldn't really want. Then you're up to expensive FMJ stuff.

Using another amp via your tape loop (not phono) inputs in my opinion isn't a neat solution, unless you really, really love your 7R, 8P etc.

I don't know of a low cost proc that'll do PL II with your kit. 2nd hand may be where you'll have to look.

If it were me, considering the returns for your money in the long run, I'd go with power amps from Arcam and a newer amp that'll do hifi and AV with an integrated board if that's possible. I'd worry that anything else may well be a false economy.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Depends how much you want to spend mate Youa can get an AV amp with preouts that will feed the front chasnnels into your arcam kit then provide amplification for the Rears and centre. As i am not familiar with arcam kit it would help if you exp[lained what you have ie is it pre power combo. You could go for a Rotel processor but its £900+ so not cheap.
    Look for an AV amp with preouts denon i think have

PS I'm hungover and my typing is letting me down:zonked:

4. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy peasy ... buy an AV amp/receiver, plug the main speaker pre-outs into your Arcam amp (7R) video or aux input, other speakers powered from the AV amp. The only question then is what AV amp to buy - depends on how much dosh you want to spend on it!

I have a Denon AVR2802 with pre-outs fed to an Arcam Alpha 3 integrated amp ...

5. Confused

Confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, Johnathan, simple question that I still worry about, sound control? How do you balance the sound? Does the sound balancing work the same as a processor i.e. find the right volume once then use the HC Amp to control the total volume? Have been recommended the Marantz SR4300 but the shop wouldn't let me know how to wire it all up unless I bought it!!! They did say I'd need a phono cable though?

6. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When using HC, you set the amp controlling the main speakers to a fixed level (I use the last dot before the V of volume!!!) - often around 50% of max. Then you adjust the sound of all speakers using a test tone built into (all?) AV amps that plays pink noise from each speaker. (You can vary the volume of each speaker independently by setting a +/- dB setting on the AV amp.)

Having set that up, whenever you switch on the main amp for HC, you set its volume to the fixed one you decided on when doing the test tone atuff, and the AV volume control will control the level it sends out of the pre-amps - therefore all speaker volumes change in sync.

Of course when using the main amp for CD etc. its business as usual. (Assuming you don't route the CD through the AV amp - not recommended IMHO.)

Hope that's clear - if not ask away!!!

7. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, forgot to add that you would use standard interconnect (two phono - two phono) cable from the AV AMP pre-out to the video or aux input of your main setero amp.

8. Confused

Confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johnathan,
    your a star, cheers for that. Its always good to hear from someone who actually has the same set up!

9. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Doesn't the 7R have a "processor" option on one of the line in's as the 8R does?

10. Confused

Confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked, processor switch is 8R only - shame!!

11. Confused

Confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys sold on the addition of an AV amp using the pre-outs to include the Arcam kit, next question is which AV amp is recommended? Dealer recommends the Marantz SR4300, anyone used this amp or would recommend another?

12. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Key question for you to answer first is: "What is your budget for the AV amp and surround speakers?".

You want a centre speaker to match the main speakers tonally, so that probably decides what centre to use (I don't know B&W's ... others can help there). Makes sense for surrounds also to be B&W tho' not AS necessary. Do you want 6.1 sound (i.e. a reer centre speaker or 2) as well? (Marantz 4300 is not 6.1, 6300 and above is ...) Recommend also adding a subwoofer. So all in the all the outlay looks like:

centre speaker: B&W xxxx
    two surround effect speakers: ???
    optionally one or two rear effect speakers: ???
    optionally/recommended a subwoofer: ??? (can add later if budget limited right now)
    AV amp: ???

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Jonathan ... just a correction ... the SR4300 is 6.1 (the older SR4200 wasn't)

As for the full setup, a SR4300 is a good budget amp with all the required features. Add an LCR60 for the centre (or see if you can track down the LCR6 - which was the series 2 centre - second hand).

Then add 1 or 2 pairs of B&W 600s3, if you want to stick with matching speakers, for the rear, or other options would be B&W VM1 for smaller speakers, Mission bi(di?)-bolars, or a whole host of other speakers. Alternatively you may like to consider upgrading your fronts and using the 601 you already own as rears.

Vikki

14. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right - I was gettign confused with the Yamaha 430/630 !!!

15. Confused

Confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. Think I'll go with the Marantz, get a B&W centre and evaluate options for the rears. Will have to wait for the sub though would rather wait and get a good one than a cheaper one now!

Thanks for all you help!!!