Adding extra Sky box to Sky + set up

M

MikeHRC

Hi,

I've had Sky + for about 18 months now with minimal problems, I am trying to add another (second hand) Sky digibox for my lodger to get the free-to-air channels running off my standard dish. The dish has 4 ports, so I have run a cable into her room and got a Sky box off eBay - the cable and the digibox all work in isolation (i.e. new box will work if original Sky + box not connected, and Sky + box works OK). However if I plug in the new digibox at the same time as the Sky + box I have problems - the Sky + box seems to work OK most of the time, but some recordings didn't work, and the eBay digibox is unable to change channels (though does show the pictures correctly). I have checked the RF channels and the Sky + box is on 68 and the eBay box on 60.

Is what I am trying to do possible ? Have I missed anything obvious - any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mike.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I've had Sky + for about 18 months now with minimal problems, I am trying to add another (second hand) Sky digibox for my lodger to get the free-to-air channels running off my standard dish. The dish has 4 ports, so I have run a cable into her room and got a Sky box off eBay - the cable and the digibox all work in isolation (i.e. new box will work if original Sky + box not connected, and Sky + box works OK). However if I plug in the new digibox at the same time as the Sky + box I have problems - the Sky + box seems to work OK most of the time, but some recordings didn't work, and the eBay digibox is unable to change channels (though does show the pictures correctly). I have checked the RF channels and the Sky + box is on 68 and the eBay box on 60.

Is what I am trying to do possible ? Have I missed anything obvious - any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mike.

Having two separate boxes connected to a quad LNB on a single dish is the way all multiroom viewers use Sky - and they can all watch both boxes separate from each other, and both boxes receive clear pictures whether the other box is switched on or not, tuned to the same channel or not. So what you are trying to do is entirely possible - the problems you are receiving do sound as if each box is somehow interfering with or shorting the other, but it's nothing that I have heard of before.

The RF channels don't make a blind bit of difference - you shouldn't be using RF to connect either box to your television anyway, that's why scart leads exist, unless either Sky box is feeding a second TV.

charlie8377

Standard Member
I too am having problems with a second box,

I've got sky+ downstairs and have connected my old box upstairs via the 3rd port on the quad lnb, however my upstairs shows "no satellite signal is being received" is this just a dodgy connection? (the cable worked fine before I put the sky+ in) should I try port 4? Shall I just sack it off altogether and get a video sender?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom