Adding dynamat to plasterboard for in-wall speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Arcam_boy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,301
    Hello.

I'm installing some in-wall speakers that will be mainly used for an xbox room.

The speakers I'm using are B&W Cinema 650 in walls which will be going in to an existing partition wall between two bedrooms.

I have filled a large amount of the wall space with rockwool as recommended but when tapping the wall it still sounds hollow.

I've not managed to get the speakers up and running yet as its a work in progress but would adding a sheet of dynamat or similar help at all in reducing any resonance and slightly strengthen the wall.

There is a cross beam fairly close to the cut outs but the wall still resonates when tapped.

Its only £20 for a fairly large sheet so might give it a try applying some to the inside of the wall around 6 - 8" around the cut out and at the rear of the speaker as theres only a 5mm space between the rear speaker unit and the back wall :rolleyes:

Thanks
    Mark

2. Dj_Sim

Dj_Sim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hello, a cheaper alternative to Dynamat is builders self adhesive flashing tape.

You can get it from Homebase, B&Q or even Amazon.

Sim.