Adding Drivers to Floorstanders

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NikSoftware, Feb 10, 2009.

1. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there i have a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ floorstanders in a a set with centre/rears/sub

Want I want to know is how best to approach the idea of adding another woofer driver to each of the floorstanders.

I have a set of 4 identical woofers already in my posession in mind.

Do I have to entirely replace the 2way xover for a 3way one? bearing in mind I want both the woofers doing the same frequencies. Or is there some way to just add a high frequency cutoff to the new woofer as this is all there is on the existing woofers section of the xover circuit?

Unfortunately the drivers i have are 4 ohms bought originaly just to replace one broken woofer the same as the originals not twice as would have been useful.

and how many watts do you think would be needed per channel to hear the difference they are 100 rms to begin with?

Not looking to make it louder exactly just a more filling sound without having to turn it up as much.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I think this is a bad idea all around. First, the 4 ohm speakers, that's never going to work. The total resulting impedance is going to be far too low for all but the most expensive professional amps.

Next, crossovers are very precisely designed and tuned. You can't just swap in a 3-way crossover and expect it to work.

I would suggest that if you want more bass, you buy one or two small 8" subwoofers and add to the system.

Or you take the speakers you have, put them in their own cabinets, and add a subwoofer amp to them. Either that or buy a second integrated stereo amp, connect it to the preamp output of your existing amp. Then build a passive crossover into the bass cabinets and drive them with the second amp.

But I can't think of any safe sure way of adding more speakers to your existing speaker cabinets.

And even if you could do it, the total impedance to the amp, and the complexity of the crossovers would cause problem.

If you have four 4 ohms speakers, you could put two on each side, wire them in series for a total of 8 ohms each, then drive them with a subwoofer amp, or an external amp plus internal low pass crossovers.

Steve/bluewizard

3. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    The Liberty range includes a sub, might be an easier solution.