1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Digital EX - DTS-ES - THX -'Is it worth it' ? general review

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by kirson, Oct 15, 2004.

1. kirson

kirson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am embarking on setting up my surround system having had it placed in storage for a couple of years.

I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 which I can't wait to get back up and running, along with MS-? fronts and rears, Paridgm centre and sub. The fronts are floorstanders, and the rears probably need to be changed very old indeed.

So if I wanted to add DTS-Es, or Digital EX how could I without replacing my beloved A1. Also how is my equiment holding up after 3 years ?

all advise gracefully received.

Thanks
    Steve
    :hiya:

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi steve,

I think that from reading other reviews of the A1 is that the amplification is probably it's strong point but as you lack the other Extended surround modes it's the processing that has moved on over the years.
    I suppose that you could buy a seperate processor and power amp and then use the A1 for the other 5 channels of amplification, if it will accept the inputs but it will work out quite expensive and in the long run it might be worth investing in some new equipment anyway.

John :)

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,829
    You can't add sound formats with the Yamaha A1. It's still a good amp, but sadly worth very little by today's standards...approx £250 on here, or £400 on ebay.

6.1 is overrated anyway...just imho (consider the amount of software available vs the cost). However, if you're itching to upgrade anyway, well just do it:D

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Like yourself I also "make do" with an older amp, in my case a Denon AVC10SE, which doesn't have the bells and whistles and flashing lights of the current crop of amps but does play both DVDs and music to a very high standard.

I haven't bothered to change mine as I also believe 6.1 to be over rated and most of us don't have suitable room layouts anyway.

Save your money and upgrade the rears and possibly the sub instead.

5. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You could buy something like a yamaha 750 and use that as a processor and to drive any speakers that you don't have power amps for.

this would work out cheap and the processing side of the 750 would probably be better than your current setup.

CaM

6. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8