Adding DD 5.1 soundtrack to .ts files

David167

Standard Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has experience or has tried adding a 5.1 sountrack to those HDTV downloads that only have DD2.0 soundtracks?

I know there are a few guides out there (HDTVmedia.co.uk) but I find them a bit confusing and was looking for advice from anyone who has actually done it.

I have recently downloaded The Fugutive and From Dusk Till Dawn, which come as DD2.0, and also downloaded the 5.1 sountrack as well. The problem I have is that as you are all aware the .ts files are split and the sountrack is 1 file. How do you join the .ts files together? Does it then have to be converted to Mpeg2 to enable joining of the soundtrack? If so, will there be a loss of quality in the conversion and then back up to .ts?

I would really like to get this sorted as I would like to watch these films in all their 5.1 glory!!

Don't think anyone here has done that as I reckon it's pretty difficult.

The smaller .ts files can be combined (see recent posts) but editing/adding a 5.1 soundtrack sounds tricky to do right.

:smoke:

I've done it. With Gangs of New York. Pretty easy. Only problem is I now have a perfect MPG file (about 14GB) with perfect DD5.1 sound. Problem is when using ProjectX to convert back to TS it does so without the sound. Not really a problem as the MPG is the exact same data and works a treat and plays in WM9 just like the TS files.

So bottom line is.....YEP :D

Should have added that the MPG file is the exact same quality as the original TS as when converted I used no compression.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you want to convert an MPG file to TS? As long as it looks great in MPG, why change it? Is TS better at compression? :confused:

No reason really other than to get it back in it's native format. No compression being done so really is no point, as you say. Now I have the ability to split these files I'll just be keeping mine as MPGs with fantastic 5.1 sound :D

Problem is I need the files back to .ts as I am archiving these to DVHS. I don't use a HTPC to view these files...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom