Adding DAC to old Sony AT-TA561

Dimmie

Novice Member
Hi all, I recently after my father died inherited a 1996 Sony TA-AV561 amplifier with speakers.
I know it isn’t much in high end, but it has a huge nostalgic value to me as my father bought it in 1996 during my childhood etc.

Now I think in stereo it sounds quite nice, been tinkering around with getting speaker set up and getting a soundstage, dipping my toes towards the audiophile world, room treatment and the fun in all that even with this very modest set up.

Anyway, I wanted to add a DAC to start streaming from Qobuz with hi res files, but I saw in an old video about Dolby that the Dolby Pro Logic process tops out at 16bit 41.1k (or even below)?
So that would make adding a DAC a bit redundant probably?

I listen in stereo mode, but I suspect it still goes through the digital process even when Dolby Surround isn’t active. The phono stage works without subwoofer only, as I vaguely remember this bypasses the internal digital circuit, but I cannot find that online either, so I might be wrong.
I know home cinema amps aren’t the best for music, but I’m just wondering if this is one of the amplifiers bottlenecks.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom