• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Adding DAB to current setup

raven219

Established Member
Want to add DAB to my current kit. Should I be looking at something with an optical out to connect to my amp? Also is there much difference in quality as you pay more?

Cheers

malcolmk

Established Member
I must be stupid but my Arcam DAB tuner (from late 1999) feeds my PMC monitors via an optical cable and the quality is truly abysmal. Interference free undeniably but a flat lifeless sound which cannot begin to be called hi-fi.

If you really must get DAB for the few stations unavailable on another interference free platform then spend as little as possible. Whether you use optical or the sort of analogue cable that comes free with cheap kit is likely to be totally immaterial. Just go with the cheapest convenient solution - which may be Freeview. If it's DAB try to future proof it by looking for something DAB+ compatible.

Sonic67

Banned
My thinking too. If anything bit rates have dropped slightly more since DAB launched.

Get something to tide you over till DAB+ is here. Some products are here:

http://www.digitalone.co.uk/products/mains.asp?value=7

I have the Acoustic Solutions one but only because at the time I didn't see the point of spending too much and I don't currently see a need to replace it for something better.

malcolmk

Established Member
My thinking too. If anything bit rates have dropped slightly more since DAB launched.
I was early enough into DAB and close enough to test transmission sites to have heard DAB at 256 kb/sec. It was fine at 224 too and even 192 was tolerable for some material; but since 2001 it's been all down hill. I go months on end without switching it on and only then to assure myself that keeping it off is the right decision.

German broadcasts via satellite at 320kbs and more show how it should be done. :)

crowncd

Standard Member
It must be me!! I've had a Denon DAB/FM/AM tuner for about twelve months now feeding the signal into an Exposure Integrated and Power amp and I have to say I've been delighted with it. I do have an outside antenna so maybe that makes a difference. I do think DAB was 'oversold' insofar we were made to believe that audio quality would be superb however, it enables me to listen to stations that are weak on FM and of course, there's the wonderful BBC Radio 7!

Sonic67

Banned
I have a DAB aerial in the loft. A good aerial pulls in more stations but it doesn't alter the sound quality. I like the choice you get and that you get BBC7 and I also like Talksport so it's a step up from AM. The trouble is I find 128kbs a bit low and thejazz is 96kbs mono! Sometimes I listen on Freeview or cable rather than on Dab.

Also on mono - BBC7, Core, Kerrang, Smash Hits

Mrs Lowtech

Standard Member
Sometimes I listen on Freeview or cable rather than on Dab.

I recently bought a Topfield PVR (Freeview) for the bedroom TV and find it excellent for radio, even with a portable aerial. If speakers are connected directly to the PVR, the TV can be left off at the mains for live radio, although the TV screen is required in order to access the list of recordings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom