1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding boards to plasmas - confused

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by markbebb, Apr 4, 2005.

1. markbebb

markbebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to sound dumb, but I'm new and using this great site to get up to speed on plasmas beofore I take the plunge.

A number of posts talk about adding bords to plasms for additional connections. This confuses me as I thought these thing come with a multitude of connections already? If you do addd these boards, do this mean removing the back of the unit etc?

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    some do and some don't mate...depends on whether you are looking to buy a screen and do you own stuff for sound etc or whether you just want a plug and go plasma telly. The boards are easily fitted, they just slide in and out

3. coolasacucumber

coolasacucumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was confused as you sound to be mark, but it is quite simple. as mep stated, some plasmas come with quite a few connections included, others, such as mine (pannasonic 42" 6 series) only came with a pc vga connection. if this is the case with the screen you are looking at you will need to budget for additional connections.

people here are very helpful in letting you know the best way to connect your equipment.

i have only bought 1 input board (component) because i got an amplifier (yamaha dsp-ax750) which will take numerous video inputs and upconvert them to component, hence only having 1 input to the screen from the amp.

the board cost me £85 inc. vat. the amp was £350, but the way i look at it is it saved me money in the long run because of only needing the 1 board, i needed an amp anyway, could of got a cheaper one, but you get the picture...

hope that helped.

4. markbebb

markbebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I start to get it. So, is it just like a PC then, open the back and connect the boards via a PCI slot or something?

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474

even easier than that as there is no back to remove...usually just an external cover plate