1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding An AV Receiver To A New System

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cheekymonkey, Apr 5, 2005.

1. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking to purchase an AV Receiver to go with my new TV/DVD Player and would really appreciate your thoughts and advice on this.

I currently have the following: -

TV : Panasonic TX32DTX40
    DVD : Panasonic DMREH50 inc 80GB HDD
    CD Player : Marantz 63 MkII KI Signature
    Speakers : Bose Acoustimass 5

I have got ridof my old Rotel amp and am now looking for a decent mid-range AV Receiver and also looking to upgrade the speakers.

AV Receiver
    I will be using this for both AV and music on a roughly 50/50 basis.
    The model I was looking at was the Denon AVR-2105 but the Denon AVR-2805 seems to be better in terms of current functionality as well as future proofing etc.
    I've looked at the Yamahas, Pioneers and Marantz amps but the reviews and posts seem to keep coming back to the Denons? I thought the Marantz might be good but two seperate dealers that I respect told me that these are more AV than music now and the Denon would be more suited to my needs? Any thoughts?

Speakers
    I am looking for a 5.1 set up to start with and the potential to go to a 6.1 or 7.1 in the future.

these need to be a compact set of speakers as the room is primarily our sitting room and I don't want it to be full of speakers! (also read this as I won't be allowed to have any such set up by you know who!!)

I like the look of the KEF 5005 but they are a tad expensive for me at circa £1,000 but also thought about the KEF 2005.2's, M-S Genies (Had MS speakers before) and the Wharfedale Diamond 90's.

Before I go and set up a demonstration what other speakers would you recommend that would work well with the amp and why ?

thanks in advance.

2. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Any suggestions please :hiya:

:lease:

3. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    From the speaker packages listed, I would recommend the Denon AVR-2105 as a better match.

IMHO, the 2805 is better in stereo, but the speakers will let it down. I would only consider the 2805, if you where planning to get some stand-mounts or floorstander to incorporate into the system (either running these speakers as Zone 2, or incorporating them into a 7.1 system with the above sub/sat package).

4. cheekymonkey

cheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Harry T2

What would I hear (or not?) if I were to marry the 2805 to one of these speaker packages?

If I was going for the 2805 what speaker (package) would you recommend?

At the moment I am all ears (no pun intended) as I want go to my local dealer with a quality shortlist that will not waste his or my time.

Thanks

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I wouldn't hear much difference at all. Whether you would of not, would require you to demo both.

For the 2805, I probably wouldn't recommend any sub-sat package. If the speakers must be small, I would build a speaker system around the Castle Richmond 3i's (with the remainder possibly from the Castle compact range). But now I have put you in the KEF 5005 (and up) price range.

But everyones requirements and tastes are different. The demo will run a lot smoother if you can short-list your requirements rather than the components.