• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Adding an All-in-one turntable to Home Stereo

dankara

Novice Member
I don't know how possible this is or if anyone has done it, and it may not be worth it; but can an all in one phonograph be integrated into a home audio system?

A little background first, I have an Onkyo TX-NR616. I have been wanting to get into vinyl for awhile but didn't really know if it was for my wife and I, so I didn't want to drop a bunch of money.

Recently my wife found a 1993 Thomas AIO record/cassette (yay, haha) player for cheap. I realize it is a low end phonograph and the speakers sound pretty, um, bad. I would like to integrate it into my audio system to at least be able to judge it with fuller speakers (I currently have a 3 channel Klipsch tower setup).

Obviously it was not intended for this, but is it reasonably possible? I am fairly comfortable with light to moderate rewiring and soldering, but I honestly don't know where to start. I saw no obvious preamp built in and it appears the ~5w speakers are soldered directly to some control board.

Any help is appreciated, I will probably end up upgrading in the future, but I'd like to get some use out of this thing first.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Unless your all-in-one has an audio line out it would involve you having to source a circuit diagram and/or service manual for it and the ability to modify/rewire it.
Maybe more trouble than it's worth.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Can you do this? Yes.

Should you do this? No.

Likely the quality of the turntable is very poor. If you can give us the exact model number or a photo of the unit, we can make a better determination. But, turntables on these all-in-one units tend to be bad.

This is about the absolute rock-bottom turntable. Most would recommend that you spend a bit more than this, but if you must go this low, this is the lowest you can go -

Audio Technica ATLP60USB USB Turntable - Superfi

You might be able to find this a bit cheaper on Amazon.

But in a quality turntable, these are the bottom end of what someone would actually want -

Lenco L90 USB Turntable with Built in Pre Amplifier - Superfi

Reloop RP1000M DJ Turntable - Superfi

Lenco L3807 Professional Turntable - Superfi

Audio Technica ATLP3 Turntable - Superfi

The Audio Technica AT-LP3 is really an Audio Technica LP60 but with a better tonearm; a considerably better tonearm.

These are all under £200. Taking the next step up from there, we have these -

Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB Turntable - Superfi

Project Debut 3 SE Turntable - Superfi

Project Essential II USB Turntable - Superfi

Project Debut Carbon MSL Turntable with Ortofon 2M Silver Cartridge - Superfi

Teac TN300 USB Turntable - Superfi

The above are all pretty good and come in at under £300.

At just over £300, these are worthy considerations.

Project Debut Carbon Turntable With Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge - Superfi

Audio Technica ATLP5 USB Turntable - Superfi

That should give you a range of Turntables to consider.

Steve/bluewizard

dankara

Novice Member
Yeah, I kinda thought so. It is a very low end model. Most of the hardware on the turntable is plastic and the tone arm is crappy chromed Chinese pot steel (or something equally terrible). It's the "Thomas Museum blah blah" brand. It looks as though whatever amp is being used is built in to the circuit board, so bypassing or upgrading is probably a PITA. I appreciate the input everyone.

In the future I may purchase a kit from Turntable Lab with an upgraded cartridge.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom