Adding (AirPlay) streaming to existing hifi.

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Andy Hampshire, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Andy Hampshire

Andy Hampshire
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, help needed please.

I am very happy with my Linn hifi, which is in the sitting room. I have a B&O system in the kitchen. I have added a Neet Airstream to the B&O to enable streaming from the various Apple devices in the house which works well. What I would like to do is add a device to the Linn to enable me to stream from the Linn system (primarily the LP12 record deck) to the B&O via the Airstream.

I believe I could do this with a Sonos Connect but I am having difficulty finding a cheaper option. Anyone have any ideas of alternative devices?

Andrew.

2. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hi Andrew,

The Neet Airstream is not compatible with Sonos's proprietrary music file streaming mechanism, so you won't be able to stream the resulting digital audio signal from the Sonos Connect's analogue input (from the Linn system) to a non Sonos device like the Neet. You'd have to get a second Connect, to use instead of the Airstream, for the B&O system.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any purpose built device with an analogue audio input, to then convert into a digital audio format that's streamable over the network either using AirPlay or UPnP/DLNA, as supported by the Neet. It may be possible to do on a computer, with a decent ADC and a lot of DIY.

A cheaper alternative to using two Sonos Connects in your configuration would be to using a Bluetooth audio transmitter and receiver, preferably a pair that supports aptX for better sound quality. If the Neet supported Bluetooth aptX, then would you only need to get the Bluetooth aptX transmitter.

If your B&O system has an FM tuner, then another idea might be to use a personal FM transmitter on the Linn system side, though you'd have to do your reasearch as cheap, legal, good quality, low powered FM transmitters are quite hard to find.

John

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016