Adding a Yamaha DSP-E800 to my Arcam8r

C

Commited

Whey! First post!

I'm thinking of adding a yamaha DSP-E800 to my system to give my system a bit of ooomph for movies. Currently the room the Hi-fi is in is pretty small (3.5m x 3.5m).

I'm basically just wondering if this will be suitable, will match well & whether or not there is anything better available for reasonable cost!

My other option for the same money would be to add a power amp to my system which would have a benefit for both movies and music.

Which would be best?

Anyway - my system:
CD Player: Arcam 7SE
Amp: Arcam 8r
MD: Sony MDS-JE330
Tuner: NAD 402
Speakers: B&W 602S1
TV: Sony 21" Flatscreen
VCR: Mitsubishi E-30
DVD: Wharfedale DVD-750s

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

By adding the yamaha you'll be able to listen to multichannel soundtracks on DVDs, you'll need to get some extra speakers as well (a centre and two rears plus possible a subwoofer). It should go fine with your arcam. AFAIK there aren't any other similarly priced products around.

If you go this route it'll cost you about £250 for the amp and it would be sensible to probably spend another £300 or so on the other speakers - get matching B&W ones and you should have a good tonal match.

If you were to go the route of adding a power amp to your setup it may help your stereo sound but won't give you multichannel audio.

HTH
Owain

I have a DSPE-800 that I am planning to replace after Xmas - if you can wait!

Hey

thanks for the replies :)

I understand what the 800 does, ive been looking at it since it came out!

I dont know if I actually NEED multichannel yet - Would I be able to use an 8R, 8P & DSP-E800 together?

I'd probably like to bi-amp it first, thinking about it, and add the 800 maybe around march or so :)

I have an Arcam A7R & Dsp-E800 running together and it works really well :thumbsup:

I understand what the 800 does, ive been looking at it since it came out!

Sorry if I was teaching you to suck eggs, I was a bit confused about what you meant :)

The yamaha can work as a pre amp to all of it's channels if you want, so you could actually lose the arcam 8R all together if you got an 8P (I presume thats the power amp?). There would probably not be much to be gained with keeping the 8R as well as the 8P, except maybe if you found the 8R/P combination to be better for direct stereo over using the pre amp section of the DSP800.

In my current setup I have my HTPC working as a multichannel processor, this feeds the yamaha DSP800 with 6 channel analogue. This then does the amplification for the centre and rear channels and passes the fronts to my stereo power amp. the sub is active so has its own on board amp.

HTH
Owain

Instead of the Yamaha you could use any AV amp/receiver that has pre-outs for the front channels, in particular if you need (want) all the latest surround sound formats like DPLIIx etc. or want to go for a 7.1 setup.
This may disable the amplification of the front channels inside the AV amp/receiver, but this could actually be seen as a benefit since the power supplies of the budget equipment are usually weak.
And a lot of new units are not much more expensive but offer lot's of more features (e.g. video up-conversion etc.).

Sorry, but I have to politely disagree with the two comments posted directly above.

The pre-amp section of the E800 doesn't hold a candle to the Arcam set-up.

Best bet here, IMHO, is for Commited to continue using his 7SE direct into his 8R (and bi-amp aswell by all means) and then use the E800 as a pure add on processor for his Wharfedale DVD. His priority here is clearly excellent two channel music replay with Surround Sound as a bit of fun add-on.

Were he to ditch his 8R, and buy just a power amp instead, and run that off the E800 pre-outs (or any other AV amp), with the Arcam CD connected straight into the Yamaha, then music replay would nose-dive for two reasons:

1. IMHO the pre-amp section of the E800 is considerably worse sounding than that of the Arcam (for audiophile two channel replay).

2. Note: The volume control of the E800 (or any other AV amp) *does not operate in the analogue domain*. Many people either forget this, or are not aware. All volume control and balance functions etc, are done in the digital domain via the Yamaha's onboard Codec. Therefore, were the lovely Arcam CD to be connected up to the E-800, then the first thing the Yamaha will do is digitise the signal again (aargh !) so it can apply volume control changes. i.e it goes though an A to D. Once the Yamaha has applied a volume change, then the signal is banged through the Yamaha internal DAC onto the pre outs. This is a bad thing for a dedicated two channel man !!!!!!!!!

To maintain a high standard of two channel replay (to which he has become accustomed) then much better he continues to connect the output of the Arcam CD in the analogue domain to the Arcam amp - rather than listen to the sound of the Yamaha's (or any other AV amp's) A to D, and D to A bolted onto the end of it (and its resolution then dropped by the digital volume control). I hope I've explained the logic of that clearly enough (!).

Of course, were the priority to be passed instead to multi-channel over stereo, then all of those arguments above would come crashing down.

Oh, and yes you can use that little lot all together - it works a treat !

HTH

Cheers for all your replies :D

Lost cause - I feel you are on my wavelength!

2channel audio will always be my one true love (until DVD-A persuades me otherwise! Thats gonna be expensive :( ). I have grown up with top spec 2channel audio (dad currently using an Arcam Alpha 6 CD player, linn sondek LP12, Meridian 101 pre-amp & 2x105meridian monoblocks & a set of B&W 802s all connected by Nordost Blue Heaven!) and ive experienced Yamaha AV used for 2channel and imho its quite bright and harsh.

I'm thinking of bi-amping first and then getting the DSP-E800 when i can afford it. Then I think i'll retire the 602's to the rear channels and use the vintage B&W DM7s I have in the spare room as fronts! I have an old speaker i can use as a centre to tide me over too.

Are subs vital for the home cinema experience?

The DSPE-800 can be had for £160 or less on line:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/145

And I agree that it's not a good idea to use it for 2-channel; I use mine for TV/Video/DVD sound only, and for CD go direct to my pre/power combo that drives the main speakers. I connect the DSP in a tape loop on the pre-amp, so I can use the surround processing for party music etc.

The volume control of the E800 (or any other AV amp) *does not operate in the analogue domain*.

That's very interesting, and not something I'd thought of before to be honest. Good point :)

My aim personally is to eventually lose the pre amp section of the yamaha when I move up to an RME soundcard in my HCPC, I'll then use this as a pre/pro and have it directly into my power amp and yamaha and eventually just power amps. It'll be interesting to see the difference made.

Are subs vital for the home cinema experience?

I've just got my first one (an SVS PB10-ISD imported from the US) and I've got to say that before I had it I wasn't all that bothered. Films seemed to have plenty of impact on my setup and all seemed fine. Now that I've heard it though I don't think I could go back, it adds something to a soundtrack that (to my mind) is probably more dramatic than extra channels - if I had to chose either a 2.1 setup or a 5.0 I think I'd probably go for a 2.1. Fortunately it doesn't have to be a choice :)

Owain

Sorry to butt in on your thread. I have posted a similar question.

Does the Yam partner well with the Arcam? Warm Brit sound with Clean Jap? Never heard them together.

my pairing sounds excellent, Alpha7r & Dsp-e800 :thumbsup:

Couldn't you also just purchase a DVD player with on-board decoding?

you would still require an amp with a six channel input though, or 5 poweramps and a powered sub if you want surround sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom