Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Adding a turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Garysweb, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a pioneer vsx c301 av receiver, and i want to add a turntable. I've got a couple of phono inputs spare, so i would want to use them if poss.

Can someone reccommend a cheap deck...want to keep it as cheap as possible as i dont have much in the way of vinyl.

Do i need some kinda preamp??

And is there anything else i should know?

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    hi ya mate hows the system doing???
    does amp have an inpuit labelled phono? If so project debut £120 ish if not then Project debut phono SB has built in preamp, £160 ish IIRC, cheaper options are pretty cheap and nasty, profect has won loads of awards, they pop up S/H now and again other optoin (i havent heard) but are supposed to be ok are:
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2619&lastid=252
    Projects are superb tho mate and debut comes loads of colours!

3. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the help

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    whats budget? £160 for phono SB is a fair whack of cash but they are superb! otherwise there are few other options. Sony do a couple at about £70-90 and a few others still do. Check classifieds and ex dem lists some one might let Phono SB go for £100.

5. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about budget...wanted to check out want sorta price I was looking at first. Like i said i wont use it all that much, so i dont wanna spend that much. Less than 70 if poss, but less the better, would buy one for 30 if it was of reasonable quality :) (if ya catch me drift)

Cheers

6. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    REALLY cheap turntables tend to sound awful, and they won't do your records much good either. To get a good signal off the disc, you need a certain level of mechanical engineering, and that costs a bit more. Going really cheap would be a false economy IMHO, and I'd not bother with anything less than one of the Projects.

7. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I've got a project debut II - I use a separate phono stage, you could shop around for these

8. Garysweb

Garysweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thats what i thought, same with most things really :( But i dont mind spending the money if its worth it, and it appears in this case it is.

Cheers guys