1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a TAG DAC 20 to AV setup, having problems

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by lhatkins, Jul 10, 2002.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

New to this site, was pointed here because I have an A/V setup and I'm having a few problems.

Ok Background, well my basic system comprises of
    Amp: Yamaha DSP-AX1 (AV amp)
    DVD / CD Transport Pioneer DVD717
    DAC: Tag DAC20
    Speakers: Morden Short 908
    (Full list here http://www.lhatkins.btinternet.co.uk/about.htm#hifi)

I've added the TAG Dac 20 recently but its had adverse effects on the system.

I've connected the 717 via the DAC to the CD source connectors. (for CD listening)
    I've conencted the 717 to the DVD souce connecters on the AMP with an optical cable, (for DVD watching)

What my problem is: after installing the DAC, I stick on my Fav Enya CD, "A day without rain", track 2, the first thing I notice when switching from cd to dvd (I play the whole track then switch then play it again);
    The CD source is queiter, treble light, base light, muddy. piano sounds distored and top end if missing.
    Switch to DVD and although not as good the original coax was, it's back to normal.

CJROSS from the HIFi Forum (where I normally reside) suggested I post the question here as you lot have better experience with AV gear, so I'm hoping one of you will be able to help me out.

I've checked the basics, cables, turned the EFFECTS OFF on the amp. Is there anything I might have missed.

Any help gratefully received.

TIA

Lee

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That there is a different in volume levels may be purely to the DAC, but doesn't explain why it sounds worst.
    That said I don't think the AV amp is at fault but perhaps the DAC itself!? Have you actually heard / tested it before?

Might also be worth comparing how the DVD player sounds when connected via analog stereo to the amp ...

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not something silly like not being able to use both optical and digital coax ouputs at the same time on the 717?

Other than that, it sounds like it's either a faulty DAC, or the Yamaha is simply a better unit than the TAG (unlikely that though :) )

4. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tag has a message board at http://www.tagmclaren.com where you'll probably get a reply from Tag technical support.

Does the Yamaha have an analogue pass-through or does it digitise all it's analogue inputs?

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Hi

Try connecting the TAG to the left & right 5.1/6.1 External Decoder inputs of the Yamaha, you´ll definitely bypass any processing etc. Then select EXT decoder on the Yamaha.

If its still bad then the TAG would appear to be faulty.

6. lhatkins

lhatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Wow that is a lot of thing to try, thank you very much, I'll try all of them over the weekend. I knew I could get a good response here You certainly know your AMPs!

I hadn't heard or tested the DAC before, because it was on offer at TAG and it got mail order.

If it sounds better going through the 6.1 descret inputs, is there a perminant solution to connect it to the amp, or is it ok to leave it there?

Thanks again for all your assistance, I'll let you kow if I solve the problem.

Cheers

Lee

7. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    H lhatkins,

the sound through 6.1 discrete inputs maybe the way to go. I do not know yours receiver characteristics that well, but if it has the proper hardware implementation, the 6.1 is a by-passed path for the analogue signal. This way it is not converted to digital again, as it may happen with the CD input in order to make possible further surround processing on it (like PL II if you wish). I expect the 6.1 by-pass to not let you execute any kind of surround processing on its signal.

I hope it helps.

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While not hugely familiar wih the AX1, surely it has a source direct mode for stereo, which doesn't digitise the input, DSP it, or really do anything to it all (which is what a "souce direct" mode really is of course).

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    (which is what a "souce direct" mode really is of course)

Theoretically (and in case of stereo amps it always applies) it should bypass any functions like tone adjustmenst etc., but I think Yamaha handles this diffently and the DSP-AX1 has only a processor (DSP) bypass, not a true analog bypass.

Could be wrong though but I also rekon to try the 5.1 input first instead of the CD In.