1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a subwoofer to a stereo setup... your help please!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Unlight, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey there,

Im using a set of KEF Q4's with my hi fi at the moment. Now, Im more than happy with them, but I would love it if there was slightly more bass in the music.

I know subwoofers are nearly essential in Home Cinema setups... but do they work well in a stereo environment? I was thinking of buying the KEF PSW2500 to complement my Q4s..

Any help much appreciated :)

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hi Unlight

If you are going to use a subwoofer for a stereo system with a conventional stereo amplifier. It is best to get a subwoofer with high level connections. That means a subwoofer with speaker type input terminals.

Then you can connect normal stereo speaker cables from your amplifier speaker terminals to your subwoofer in stereo. If you use only one channel with high level connections you may lose some signal.

My website link below covers the connection of a sub to a stereo amp by high level connections in a bit more detail.

I've had a look at the KEF website for connection details on the PSW2500 but found no such details. Are there any PSW2500 owners who can help out here please? Can you confirm whether high level connections are possible? If not, we'll have to try something else. :)

Nimby

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have used a Rel sub to reinforce the bass of my music system for many years, epsecially when I ran ProAc standmounts it made a massive difference.

The Rel has a high level neutrik connector and 3 core cable which you connect to 3 of the Amp's speaker terminals along side your normal speaker cable.

Best to get a demo of a suitably equipped sub, suggest you have a look at a dealer who stocks Rel, MJ etc etc.

Gus

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have the KEF PSW2500, and I'm sure it has the high level connections needed.

I can double check again tonight when I reach home.

The PSW2500 should be a great match for the Q4's.

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    A subwoofer can help in a HiFi but it needs careful setting up - (read - time consuming) but is can be worth it.

6. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    REL as a subwoofer is always in the debates when it comes to "HT Setups", but, when it comes to "Stereo Setups" almost all the audiophiles seem to agree that REL is by far one of the most musical subs you can buy for the money. They have an uncanny ability to transform the music to a higher level by being in the chain and not just add low end oomph. They also have the distinction of being "speaker friendly"

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Once upon a time, thats really only true of the higher cost versions. The original was always pretty good and seems to have lead them down a road to producing subs at a price rather than for a given performance. I dont think REL have the exclusive rights to automatic audiophile performance any more. THeres now an awful lot of competition in the form of B & W, MJ Acoustics, SVS, Velodyne et al even Mordaunt short and Wharfedale are making great strides in this direction.

IMO for ultimate performance from a hifi system, true full range is the best way to go, but and it is a BIG but, its a far more expensive route and if your combining it with an H/C system there are a lot of pros for using a sub and standmounts.