• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Adding a Sub?

zero7

Established Member
I'm moving my AV equipment into a dedicated room, this leaves me with my speaker stands and a recently purchased Arcam CD73T, I am going to buy a stero amp and some high(ish) end stand mounters.

The problem is that I'm really use to low down bass from my sub and I want to keep the low frequencies. I have a fairly large room, 25ft x 13ft but I can't have floorstanders. Is there an amp around which will let me hook up a sub for just CD playback?

CJROSS

Prominent Member
zero7 said:
I'm moving my AV equipment into a dedicated room, this leaves me with my speaker stands and a recently purchased Arcam CD73T, I am going to buy a stero amp and some high(ish) end stand mounters.

The problem is that I'm really use to low down bass from my sub and I want to keep the low frequencies. I have a fairly large room, 25ft x 13ft but I can't have floorstanders. Is there an amp around which will let me hook up a sub for just CD playback?

Any stereo amp with pre-outs can be used low level wise (I do this currently with my Primare) or you can hook up any sub with high level connections to the speaker posts on your amp (or any stereo amp), both are volume controlled sources for the sub to integrate with your stereo speakers.

Nimby

Distinguished Member
I have heard that if you run high level stereo connections from the backs of your speakers to your sub the quality of these "extension" cables is not important (allegedly) since an active sub has such a high impedance.

Even lighting flex has been mentioned for this purpose in otherwise high-end systems. This may offer a way out to those worried about running long doubled speaker cables from their stereo amps over to the distant subwoofer against the wishes of a house-proud partner. A couple of shorter lengths of (carefully chosen, near invisible) flex from speakers to sub should be able to deceive the eye of even the most tyrannical partner. (at least for a while) ;)

Just be sure to maintain stereo and phase in your sub's connections. Do not cut down on the quality of your mains lead to the sub as the bigger subs draw a lot of current on the dynamic bits of the programme material. It could be a bit like trying to drink real ale through a straw. :beer:

Mr Cat

Banned
Nimby said:
Just be sure to maintain stereo and phase in your sub's connections. Do not cut down on the quality of your mains lead to the sub as the bigger subs draw a lot of current on the dynamic bits of the programme material. It could be a bit like trying to drink real ale through a straw. :beer:

hey, I've just swapped the power cable on my sub from a freebe to a home made one and the difference to Joss Stones 'snakes and ladders' is apparent :thumbsup: :smashin: :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom