1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a sub to preamp/poweramp combo?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by rauer, Oct 22, 2005.

1. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. This is probably a silly question but I need some advice here. Wasn't sure which forum to pick, so mods feel free to move if needed.

My primary system includes a pair of B&W Nautilus 805s, a Denon AVR-3803 AV receiver and a Velodyne SPL-1200 subwoofer. The source is a harman/kardon DVD25. I also have a decent quality head-amp/preamp combo, a Meier Audio Corda Prehead.

I'm moving to a new house next week and there I'll be able to have three different music and AV setups in different rooms - not that any of them would be something to write home about. My plan has been to move the AV receiver to the secondary system and get a poweramp to run my B&W speakers and use the Prehead as a preamp. This setup would probably be used 50/50 for music and DVDs (two channel only). So far so good. However, I just realised I won't probably be able to use the Velo sub in this setup. Crap. Is there reasonable way of combining it to this setup or should I start thinking about this from the scratch again?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Difficult but not impossible,and would almost certainly involve carting the sub around if you wanted to get anything like a decent result from it...I'd be inclined to run the 805s,and the Meier,plus power amp separately,and not bother with the Velodyne until you can afford a second sub.