Adding a 'small' (ht bypass) Amp to my Marantz NR1711

Henkje

Hi all,

Not too long ago I had the luck to walk into a bargain, acquiring a 3.0 set of Dali Oberon 7 fronts and a Dali Vokal center. Due to size being a factor I then went for a slimline AVR, the Marantz NR1711, as it has pre-out ports for the front speakers. Now I'm considering the purchase of an Amplifier to hook up to the NR1711, because of two reasons:

• In the future I might be expanding my system, probably to 5.1. As the NR1711 is on the lower side of wattage, my idea was that hooking up an Amplifier into the pre-out could relief the AVR a bit by accounting for the front speakers.
  • A dedicated stereo amplifier will give better results when listening to music than the NR1711.

First off, I'd like to know if I am right with these two assumptions.
I did a bit of googling myself already, and stumbled across the topic of HT bypass Amplifiers and their ability to, well, bypass the AVR and give direct connection to the speakers. Is HT bypass a necessary feature if I'd want the amp to relief my AVR and improve the sound quality? As I understand it, without HT bypass, the Amp would run through the AVR and its corrective functions (like EQ) which would be detrimental to the sound. Is this the case? Regarding the wattage relief, will HT bypass be of any use if I were to get an Amplifier? Also I'd like to not have to 'match' the volume of the front speakers and the rest of the set.

Lastly, if possible, I'd like my Amplifier to be small of size as well. I've been looking through the list of Amps with HT-Bypass (Amplifiers with HT-bypass - update 14. August 2021) and unfortunately they all seem to be too big for my furniture. Are there any HT-Bypass Amplifiers that are small of size available? I'm thinking of NAD C700 or M10v2 type of dimensions here. Depth is not a problem, it's mainly the width and height that need to be compact.

I'm not too knowledgable about this topic so if I'm far off the mark on my presumtions then my apologies ;)

Thanks in advance!

spinaltap

Distinguished Member

It’s cheaper if you’re prepared to buy B Stock…

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Did you look at the Cyrus options as they are usually small in terms of width? You will always have problems if height is an issue though as amps will usually need space above anyway.

HeadBanger

Have a look at some of the smaller high quality Hypex class D based amps. KJF and Nord are both UK based:

HB

spinaltap

Distinguished Member

Henkje

Hi all, thanks for thinking along with me here. I've checked out your recommendations.

I'm looking at a maximum size of 25cm wide and 14.5cm high. This would make the Cyrus One a great contender. All other recommended amps are unfortunately too big already.

The NAD C700 recently caught my eye as well, the streaming possibility is a great plus. Does anyone know if the NAD C700 has HT bypass? And would I be able to use its RCA connections to hook it up to the pre out of my NR1711? Here is an overview of its ports: NAD C 700 - Bluos network player and integrated amplifier, Audio Visual Factory

At the moment I'm in between the NAD C700 and the Cyrus One, but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks again.

rc789

Good deals on the Cyrus one models around but you’ll need the HD or cast if you want an internal DAC. I had the HD and i liked it. I moved to another integrated then to a multi channel power amp plus pre-amp and separate DAC so now have the best of all worlds. Don’t be afraid to offer less on a retailers eBay site if they accept offers as the RRP is often double or more so sometimes you can get an amazing deal.

Kapkirk

You could use the Behringer a800. loads of power and dirt cheap, great for front surrounds.

HeadBanger

Hi all, thanks for thinking along with me here. I've checked out your recommendations.

I'm looking at a maximum size of 25cm wide and 14.5cm high. This would make the Cyrus One a great contender. All other recommended amps are unfortunately too big already.
I think you missed these then:

These are 23w x 8.3h:

And these are 24w x 9.4h:

HB

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom