1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a second TV card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jon stallard, Mar 30, 2005.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm taking my time over the build of my HTPC machine (and very enjoyable it is too - apart from the MCE installation disc malarkey - thanks for the replies). It's still at the cover off, stuff being installed, uninstalled stage. Experimenting in other words.

I've added a TV card I already had, loaded the BDA drivers over the weekend and was most impressed with the usability, picture quality... in fact everything about the MCE interface so far is what I'd hoped it would be.

So, my question is not so much a problem, more of a what happens next..... Which is what will happen when I install another TV card (The current one is a TwinHan DVB-T)? Will the existing drivers automatically install for the new card or will there be some sort of conflict? Should I go for the same card or a different one? Any pre install advice greatly received. One thing is for certain, I want twin TV cards :)

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've read it seems that two cards work fine so long as they share the same EPG. In other words you can't run an analogue alongside a digital card nor mix with a DVB-S card.

Personally, I'd get the same card.

Would you be good enough to say where you bought yours?

Thanks

Dave

3. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all, I bought mine from http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/ I think Maplins sell them too but cheaper from pcnextday at £56 (productcode=1513-2010) if I recall.

It's been a love hate thing I have to say but normally resolved by downloading the latest drivers which do get updated quite often. I think twice since last october when I bought mine plus the recent BDA drivers which appeared last month. It clashes with my cheapo vga card on my day to day PC (but works fine if I remove it and use the on board graphics) and works with my MSI NX6600GT-TD128E GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 128bit TV Out DVI PCI-E card (although yet to test it beyond ye olde 15" crt monitor I'm using in my test rig)

What I didn't like too much was the interface but using MCE means you don't need it so that doesn't matter.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, I appreciate all the info.

Dave

5. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd try and find someone else that has successfully run this configuration. A number of cards work fine in single tuner mode but have problems in dual tuner, even Hauppauge had twin tuner problems initially with drivers. Black Gold have always worked in twin tuners which is one reason they are so popuar.