Adding a second tuner

mogget

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an old TV with an analogue tuner and a Sony RDR HXD710 with a single digital tuner. When my area goes digital in April I will no longer be able to watch one channel and record another. Can I simply add a set top box to allow me to do this and if so how would I link up the TV, set top box and Sony recorder? Would I need to set up the set top box with the TV before linking in the recorder?

No problem at all. Assuming your TV has two scart sockets (if not post what inputs it has)

The aerial will loop through the kit as follows (you don't need it in the TV as the analogue tuner will be useless).

Aerial to freeview box in, freeview box aerial out to to dvdr in.

Connect the TV scart of both boxes to a scart socket on the TV. Say AV1 for the dvdr and AV2 for the freeview box.

Watch the dvdr by selecting AV1 on the TV and AV2 for the freeview box.

Thanks. I have 3 scart sockets. I imagine the set top box will require an installing process to find channels and so on. Does it matter if I connect it all up as you suggest before installing the new set top box or should I install it with only it connected to the TV and then connect up the recorder? Sorry to sound so ignorant but I am!

Thanks. I have 3 scart sockets. I imagine the set top box will require an installing process to find channels and so on. Does it matter if I connect it all up as you suggest before installing the new set top box or should I install it with only it connected to the TV and then connect up the recorder? Sorry to sound so ignorant but I am!

Connect it all up, turn it on and it should automatically set everything up for you. Occasionly because you might be in a location that can recieve more than 1 transmitter there might be auto tuning problems (you would get the same problem with your dvdr as well). If you find you have channels with numbers of 800 or over on either box post for more help (You will need to post which transmitter you are using)

Freeview boxes start at about £20. You could also go for a Freeview HD box which start at about £50 (Comet). This will also have a SCART socket but when you do decide to change your TV you will have this ready.

Obviously at the moment you will not see the full benefit as your existing TV is not HD. All the "flat screen" sets are capable of displaying HD images. Assuming you are or will be in a Freeview HD area, the pictures on BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD and Channel 4HD should appear better than their "ordinary" equivalent. You will also get an extra channel "BBC HD" which carries programmes from BBC2, 3 and 4 often at different times to give you additional choice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom