Adding a second subwoofer worth it ?

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to buy another matching Subwoofer and wondered how much improvement I might gain

I have an 8033 that I can use but I have been too lazy to install having upgraded my sub recently to a better sub.

I am not unhappy with the bass at all but adding more headroom and scale is always appreciated. Especially as my room is not huge right now but I will be moving house in the next few years and will hopefully have a larger room then

I guess the question is for those that have moved from 1-2 what where the audio gains ?

Can you use an 8033 with two subs?

More total available power is only beneficial if you ever use it.

Multiple subs gives you more scope to get a flatter frequency response over a larger area by changing where they are positioned.

If you do buy a second sub I'd do it for benefits right now, not for possible plans a few years down the line. Plans and priorities may change.

What is your current sub out of interest?

Another Sonus Faber Cremona M sub. I had a Sonus Faber Gravis sub for years and it's a very good sub, tight and quick, very good with audio as well as Film. I heard a Cremona Sub a number of years ago and was impressed, so kept an eye out for a good few years. But they were nearly £4k new. I then located an overseas supplier selling them for 1500 Euro (No longer in production) so I bought one a few months back, very pleased with it adds real weight without any bloom. A bit of that 'cemented' to the floor feeling. They are also voiced to work with SF speakers (not sure that matters)

They are quite 'meaty' weighing in at 36kg with two 300mm drivers and one passive driver. They are not worth £4k for sure but I think its a good opportunity to go for a second if it's worth it at £1.2k or so. I had considered thinking about selling the hifi based set up when I move and start again with dedicated Cinema. BUT I am really not sure it would be a step forward in any case.

I think you can split the phono lead and treat the two subs as one with an 8033

Yes just checked

upload_2019-4-19_14-7-40.png

To answer your question, it's absolutely worth it Having a sub on opposite corners of the room brings some nice balance. Do it

Actually, yes, I can see you could use an 8033 with a Y-cable as above. I was thinking it couldn't apply separate EQ to the two subs (which it can't) but I can see it would definitely still be useful like this :smashin:.

I heard a Cremona Sub a number of years ago and was impressed, so kept an eye out for a good few years. But they were nearly £4k new. I then located an overseas supplier selling them for 1500 Euro (No longer in production) so I bought one a few months back, very pleased with it adds real weight without any bloom. A bit of that 'cemented' to the floor feeling. They are also voiced to work with SF speakers (not sure that matters)

One factor in favour of taking a chance on a second sub is that if you're buying for so much less than original retail price then there's a reasonable chance you'd be able to sell it on for no too much loss (or even a profit).

One factor in favour of taking a chance on a second sub is that if you're buying for so much less than original retail price then there's a reasonable chance you'd be able to sell it on for no too much loss (or even a profit).

Yes that's true. I like good hi-fi for this. I bought pairs of top condition Naim 135's 10 years ago for £1000-1200 a pair. I have them serviced for about £250 and amp. I have serviced 4 in 10 years, the other 4 are due for a service in the next 3 or so. They sell for nearer £2k a pair today. Same for speakers like the Extrema, I paid under £3k 10+ years ago. The last pair I saw advertised were £6k+

I decided to go for it ;) So I will have two Cremona M subwoofers shortly .....

I'll be interested to hear if it was worth it. I tried various combinations (single sub, two different subs in opposing corners) and found that far and away the best combination was two matched subs in the front corners. This made a huge difference to 2ch stereo music compared to the others.

I added a 2nd Sub years ago via a phono splitter, I did it to take the stress off a single sub and to give me more flexibility. Both sit in the corner of my room next to each other and they sound great from both seating positions on my double recliner. You know things are working well when something goes Boom and the wife just turns and glares at you Lol... Awesome.

I hope to report back when installed. I had a play with a room software package and looks like I should be okay with both near the back of the room

My room is not square or parallel either one side is 6” Longer and and the same across the other side as well

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom