1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a second set of speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by paulbull01, Sep 2, 2005.

1. paulbull01

paulbull01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a Panasonic SA-PM17 combined hifi CD stereo system (i.e. 1 unit and not separates). Can I add a second set of speakers for the dining room to this and use a switch without the need for an amplifier? Or, do I need to have an amplifier to add secondary speakers

If I need an amplifier which one do I need?

Thanks

Paul

2. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't really know anything about your system, but I be suprised if it could manage to drive 2 pairs of speakers without breaking. I think you can get a switch/box to listen to one pair at a time but have them both connected (maplin?). As for the usage of an amp it all depends on if your system has a set of phono outs. If it doesn't then connecting to another amp may well be impossible.

3. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, whether your amp can drive more than one pair of speakers at the same time depends on the amp (with most all-in-ones, I wouldn't be too optimistic). You could always buy a speakers switch and try it -- start at a low volume, and if the sound is distorted stop (and don't blame me if something breaks ;) ) btw, if it's any help I have a pioneer MIDI system -- cost a few hundred quid in its time -- which is going down the charity shop next week; I *might* be able to post it to you in return for a donation to charity if you wanted something like that as a second amp.

EDIT: spare hifi gone, sorry...

Jon

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi,
    From my experience, I would have thought it would be ok playing through all 4, so long as vol is quite low - But experiments like this can always end up in amps overheating too fast and blowing!! So only try it if your not too fussed about keeping your current amp in working order.

Just thinking aloud:
    I suppose you would be ok if you had a switch that was Lounge Or Kitchen.

If you have pre-amp outs easy to plug on another amp but I would guess you probably have not.

Another option would be to come out of the head phone socket and in to a second amp however you would have to be careful not to turn the head phones up too much else you will push far to much into the second amp - possibly fit an attenuator of some type to reduce the headphone output to protect the second amp.... ?

Just thoughts,