1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a second set of speakers - newbie question!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paulbull01, Sep 3, 2005.

1. paulbull01

paulbull01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Sorry - I'm a total newbie! I have a Panasonic SA-PM17 combined hifi CD stereo system (i.e. 1 unit and not separates). Can I add a second set of speakers for the dining room to this and use a switch to switch between rooms without the need for an amplifier?

Second thing is the panasonic speakers have 2 pairs of wires going into the back of it - marked on the Stereo as "High Frequency" Presumably to the tweeter (6 Ohm 25 watt) and "LOW Frequency" presumably to the twoofer (6 Ohm 25 Watt) - presumably as the internal am is a bi-amp. Is there a bi-amp switch box on the market that will cope with the separate high and low channel output of my stereo?

Is it possible to connect these to my other 6 ohm speakers that have only 1 pair of wires using a switch box as I can't find a switch box for speakers with 2 pairs of wire?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received

Thanks

Paul

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to me what you're describing is 'bi-wire' terminals.

1. Low freq. = Woofer
    2. High freq. = Tweeter
    3. You dont need to bi-wire your speakers.

There should be (or have been) bridging plates connecting the two positive terminals and the two neg. terminals to each other (+ to +) and (- to -). If they are still there, leave them there, if they are gone you can use a short piece of speaker wire to make the bridge. Once that is done you can go about wiring up via your switch box only needing two wires to each room.

Skinny

3. paulbull01

paulbull01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Skinny,

I don't understand how bridging works? Can you explain in a bit more detail. Do I bridge at the switch amp input? i.e. connect the bi-wires into the same + and - points for each speaker?

Can the woofer and tweeter of the bi-wired speakers both take the combined output?? If not which of these do I connect up - the woofer or tweeter?

Each amp part (woofer and tweeter) has a 6 ohm output. If I join them together won't that then create a 3 ohm rating that the 6 ohm amp can't handle on the return feed (negative)?

Sorry - I'm new to all this so don't really understand?!!

Is there such a thing as a bi-wired switch box?

Thanks ever so much.

Paul

4. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a 'biwire' terminal. You can see two brass/copper coloured plates running between the four terminals, those are the bridge plates. With those bridge plates in place you only need to run one speaker wire to each speaker. It doesnt matter which terminals you connect the wire to as long as you keep the polarity correct obviously.

As for the biwire switch box, I'm not sure if you can get one, never tried to find one ;)

Attached Files:

5. paulbull01

paulbull01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Skinny,

I don't have one of those so presumaby I can just run the 4 wires into the back of the switch keeping the polarity the same?

Does this change the ohms rating from 6ohms though?

Finally, I have to still use the bi-wired speaker for one room - do I connect just the woofer or the tweeter or can I still connect both without damaging the speaker?

Thanks for your help

Paul

6. paulbull01

paulbull01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK,

I tried the following:

1. connected the + from the high freq and low freq together into the switch and then connected the - of the high and low freq together.

2. Connected 1 speaker up as A and one as B. Turned it on with just A on and put a CD on - music came out for about 5 seconds and then it cut.

Could this be because I am combining 2 lots of 6ohm outputs into 1 wire then then sending back to the amp more than each channel can take in terms of current?

Cheers

Paul

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    does the amp have two sets of +/- outputs (LF and HF) for each channel? If so then it is a bi amp amp if you like. i doubt this though.

If the above is the case you would be changing the impedance by combining them.

If its not the case then combining the two at the switch box will make no difference to the impedance or anything really.

8. paulbull01

paulbull01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ched,

Yes I have a positive and negative for each channel (hi and Low) for both Left speakers and Right speakers.

So...how can I add a second set of speakers to this system?

Cheers

Paul

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    on the amp? i mean at both ends of the wire

if thats the case, get a second switch box and send the LF through that and HF through the one you have!

10. paulbull01

paulbull01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chad,

Yes - on the amp.

I'll do as you suggest. Can you suggest a responable priced set of bi-wired speakers as it's obvious I can't use my single wired speakers with this system.

Ta very much!

Paul

11. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found these specs on the net. Specifies bi-wire/bi amp so as chedmaster says you need to be careful how you wire this one up

12. paulbull01

paulbull01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice on where I can get a sub £50 set of bi-wired speakers from? Any models someone could suggest would be great.

Thanks

Paul