1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a second HDD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by shoehorn, Oct 23, 2003.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,
    I've been 'editing' on my PC for a while now - and feel that I might benefit from adding a second HDD to my PC.

Are there any that are particulary suitable - or are they all much of a muchness (my PC is an AMD 2800 - and fairly up to date).

Also if I do install a second HDD will it need formatting and if so is this easy to do....?

I've put a DVD recorder into my PC and so I'm OK with opening it and adding drives - and I've seen that there is a space for a second HDD.

I'm a little unsure as to what HDD to get - so any advice would be appreciated - I'm happy to spend around the £100 mark.

Thanks (and appologies if all this has been asked before - I did search, but couldn't find anything).

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Putting a second HDD is very simple.
    You say that you added a DVD recorder in so you have most of the knowledge you need.
    A PC can have up to 4 IDE devices ie 2 HDD, 1 CD, 1 DVD. I would suggest that you connect the boot (C:) drive and DVD recorder on the same IDE cable and the video HDD on its own on the other as a CD/DVD drive can slow down the HDD and the video drive needs to work close to it full capable speed.
    For £100 you should be able to get at least a 120Gb drive. Any drive of ATA100 or better will be good enough for video editing. Make sure that the IDE cable is of this spec or better & not just a CD-ROM IDE cable as these will slow down the drive.
    The new drive will need to be formatted. Just find what the drive letter has been allocated to it and then from 'My Computer' right click on the drive letter and from the drop down menu select 'Format'.
    At the moment all Seagate HDD's have a 3 year warrenty and have a good reputation for reliability. If not then any drive with 3 year warrenty will be fine (gives you peace of mind!).

Let us know how you get on.

Mark.

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    That'll do nicely :smashin:

Mark.

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks again - one's on the way already.... :clap:
    I'm gonna have to earn some 'bownie-points' before breaking it to the Mrs mind you..... :zonked:

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    DISTASTER - I've just had a call from the Mrs - "What have you been buying...?"
    She was only on the PC at home when the confirm of the order arrived.... :suicide:
    Still won't need to bank any 'brownie-points'.... :D

7. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well played dabs... it's arrived already - now to 'plug-it-in' - perhaps I'm in need of those bownie points after-all

8. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you format it as NTFS and not FAT32 as FAT32 limits individual files sizes to 4Gb, which is not good when trying to capture whole tapes.