1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a preamp to either 981or 985 over 3802 any benifit likely to be gained

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, May 19, 2003.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    at the moment i have 3802, rotel 981and 985mk1 power amps with cdm1nts as fronts nad541 cd player,

having tried 3802 on its own with cdms.

either 985 or 981 powering fronts sterio only, i still find i am not getting as good sterio production as i would like,

bit loth to sell 3802,and go the rotel 1066 processer route or tag etc, just havent got the spare cash to spend , i have not got the space for seperate av/sterio setup.

i am considering adding a sterio preamp to either the rotel 981 or 985, so assume i have to use a rotel preamp to match the powers being from the same brand,

so i am cosidering going second hand ex dem preamp but do not know what model of rotel pre i should consider,or other brand that may match rotels, i would like inbuilt phono option if possible, and will have about £250 to spend max re preamp.

are the options above likely to be a good improvement over 3802 or a sideways move, as i will not be able to demo with above powers, thank you

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    No you don't need the same make of pre-amp as you have power amp. Having said that, there are often RC970 and RC971 going cheap on ebay - around £100 - and will match your Rotel power amps cosmetically. Other options for S/H pre-amp in your price range would include older Naim, Audiolab and Music Fidelity kit (amoungst others)

Alternatively, if you only need a single input, then Creek do a "passive" preamp (basically a high quality - remote controlled in case of the Creek - pot as a volume control) for around £250 or QED do one for around £65 - ask your dealer if you could have a home demo of one. ooops ... just read you say you want a phono stage so this option will be no good

Vikki